Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hopworks Urban Brewery

2944 SE Powell Blvd.
Happy Hour: 3 - 6 PM daily
Latenight Happy Hour: 9 - close, Sun. - Thurs. AND 10 - close, Fri. - Sat.


The happy hour menu at the HUB is quite varied (especially when compared to other Portland establishments). They've got simple bar food (pretzels--which tower out of the pint glass they are served in--and roasted peanuts), pizza (both a veggie and a meat option that change daily), salads, wings, cheese bread (YUM!), beer sausage, fries and a housemade minestrone soup (with tortellini rather than a few sad elbow noodles). It might seem a little typical...but, at somewhere between 2 and 4 dollars each, the HUB is a great choice for cheaper cheap eats.


Today I decided to go with pizza (veggie, of course). For just $2.25, I had a large slice of pizza covered in olive oil, multiple cheeses (including feta) and broccoli. It was simple, yes, but as tasty as can be.


With my slice of pizza, I ordered the house salad. Lightly coated in a viniagrette and served with grape tomatoes, cucumber slices and parmesan cheese, this salad far exceeded my expectations. It was cheap but still substantial. (It was probably twice the size as the house salad I ordered on my last outing.) And, it's not like there was just the one grape tomato. When I say substantial...I mean it! Not so much that you can make a meal out of it, of course...but, paired with any of the other menu options, you will be set for the evening, I am sure.


I'm not much of a beer drinker (in fact I don't really drink the stuff at all)...but, couldn't pass up the opportunity to include this shot of a full pint of the Hopworks IPA. Listening to the waitress describe the different options when we first sat down might have been enough to make me want to try a glass of beer. She included words like clove, pear and BANANA? See, doesn't that make you want to try some. You'll notice that the pint in the picture is accompanied by a taste of the double IPA. That's one of the specials currently available. It has somewhere near 9% alcohol content and, therefore, is not included in the happy hour price list. Although I wasn't tempted to order a beer this time (and probably won't be ordering one in the future), I am interested in the drink made by mixing the HUB lager with lemonade. Sounds tasty.

Now, to the service. If you've already scrolled down to the bottom, you'll see just how impressed I was with the service at Hopworks. Maybe I lucked out. Or, maybe they are all that thorough. This woman was perfect. She was friendly (but not bubbly). She was incredibly attentive (so much so that when I declined a refill on my lemonade she promptly brought over a glass of water). And, she split the bill without any request being made.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Exceeds
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Exceeds

-b

Hopworks Urban Brewery

No comments:

Post a Comment