Saturday, August 15, 2009

Mama Mia

439 SW 2nd Avenue
Happy Hour: weekdays, 5 - 7PM

Happy Hour? More like dinner. The prices are low (everything's just three dollars) and the portions are huge. Comparably speaking, that is. I've only been to Mama Mia once before...but, now that I know, I will only dine there during those happiest hours. And, it's more than just the two listed above. They have an extra hour on Friday, one on Saturday and all of Sunday evening, too. The down side, of course, is that you have to eat in the bar. If there are just two of you, it's perfect. For larger groups, you'll have to get there early to secure group seating at the bar itself. And then, of course, you'll have to practice the sideways conversation. It's tricky. But, it can be done.

We were the first to enter the bar that night. (This is part of the plan, of course. While we are on summer vacation we make a point to get to each selected establishment as the doors for happy hour open.) This meant that--due to some slight mishaps by the hostess--we were provided with entertainment. Our poor, poor bartender. He was having quite the night! And, it showed...through the use of many inappropriate words. He apologized once...but, it continued. Two broken bottles of wine and one smashed finger led to his choice words. I suppose that as a bartender, he doesn't exactly need to filter. It's not as if there are children around.

Our bartender--despite all of the foul language--was very friendly to our party of four with talk of shared birthdays and our upcoming trip to Vegas. He also took the time to console a woman across the way who had obviously had a trying day at work. I suppose they do say that bartenders carry some of the same qualities as therapists. The stories they must hear...



I decided to order something fancy to drink because...well, I wanted to. The drink prices aren't discounted during happy hour but with well drinks at around five dollars, it's not really that necessary. For eight dollars, I had a mix of pomegranate and limoncello plus a few other fitting ingredients all served in a champagne flute. It was quite tasty but not something that I could drink more than one of. It was just a touch too sweet for my taste (which is something I rarely say).



According to our bartender, the fried zucchini is prepared fresh upon order. Knowing that, there was no question as to what I would order. Yum! It was a perfect treat, dusted with Romano cheese and served with marinara. Yes, zucchini is in season right now...but, I'm assuming that this dish is good year round. And, I'll be sure to return--ordering it every time--just to be sure. I also ordered a bowl of the Minestrone soup. It, too, was garnished with Romano cheese adding just the right touch to the mix of vegetables.



Food: Exceeds
Drink: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Exceeds

-b

Mama Mia Trattoria

No comments:

Post a Comment