Friday, November 13, 2009

Bonfire Lounge

The Bonfire Lounge
2821 SE Stark
Happy Hour 2-7 p.m.

The Bonfire Lounge isn't much to look at, but the delicious food and cheap drinks makes this place one of the best Happy Hour options in Portland. I have visited Bonfire a number of times, but I always order the exact same thing--the Portobello Mushroom Gyro (without red onion) and Sweet Potato Fries. The tricky thing about it is that if you order the gyro off of the regular menu, it comes with sweet potato fries. So the server may try to talk you into that when you try to order the Happy Hour gyro and a basket of the fries. Do not fall for this! Once you try the sweet potato fries you will be unhappy that you did not order the whole basket. For yourself. Trust me.


On this particular visit I ordered my usual. The Portobello Mushroom Gyro is a great price--only $3.50. They also offer other flavors, but I haven't tried them. The only drawback of the gyro is that it is pretty messy. There are also other $3.50 deals including Tacos, Quesadillas, Hummus, and Burgers. A basket of the Sweet Potato Fries is $6.00. Our table of five ordered one basket. We quickly polished off that basket and ordered another. These seriously are the best sweet potato fries ever. Crispy, but not too crispy. Salty and slightly peppery. Perfect!


Speaking of cheap, Bonfire has really cheap, strong drinks. I ordered a Vodka Tonic and was shocked to see that it was only $2.50 at Happy Hour. I proceeded to order two more and--in the only sad part of my Happy Hour--managed to spill my third drink all over the table! That was embarrassing, but my friends believed me when I said that I was just clumsy, not tipsy (I think).


I haven't always been too impressed with the service at Bonfire, but on this visit both of our servers were attentive and prompt. I was definitely a satisfied customer!

Food: Exceeds
Drink: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets (but could use a little work)
Value: Exceeds

-E
Bonfire Lounge on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment