Sunday, March 28, 2010

EastBurn

1800 East Burnside
Happy Hour: Daily, 3 - 6 PM


Eastburn's happy hour, more appropriately dubbed as RECESS, offers five well-priced food items, discounted house cocktails, well drinks and beers as well as a daily drink special that--on Fridays--extends through the dinner hour until 10 PM.I'm assuming that the most popular of all the recess specials would be Tuesday, where you can get two dollar pints ALL DAY LONG...but, I'm more apt to return on a Friday when I can get a bottle of wine at half the price when ordering two entrees.


Eastburn has quite the concept going for it. They have the typical outdoor seating out front, yes...but, they also have an enclosed area in the center of the building complete with fire ring tables. There are swings both inside and out and the downstairs (although I have yet to check it out) is supposedly equipped with Skee-ball machines (no prizes, though...which is why I'm less likely to venture down there). Plus, they've got space for live music and show movies down there once a week, too.


The drink menu has a lot to offer as well. March is, apparently, Merlot month. I was tempted to order a flight of wine (which actually comes in two sizes: 3 pours for $12 or five for $16) when I saw that they had both Patit Creek and Spring Valley's Uriah--two wineries that I frequently pass in the Walla Walla area as I'm driving to visit family. And, although I'm not much of a beer drinker (or, not one at all really), I was impressed with the skateboard menu and the row of tap handles that seem to cover an entire wall.


I ended up ordering two of the fancy cocktails that are priced at $5 during recess. I started with a very sweet (perfect for me, of course) Martini Marion Berry. It came layered--which was quite appealing--and had the perfect amount of sugar on the rim. I also tried--after being convinced by the server that it would NOT taste like I was eating flowers--the Walt Walker. The elderflower did not taste like a bouquet but did possess some interesting qualities. These, of course, slowed my sipping just a smidge...but, its unique flavors aren't going to keep me from ordering it again in the future.


Since we had dinner plans later that night, the three of us selected just two items off of the menu to share. From the recess menu, we ordered the Chipolata sausage sandwiches. I can't tell you much about them other than that they were presented nicely and enjoyed by the two meaters at the table. From the appetizers list on the dinner menu, we also had a plate of potato pancakes. They were made of shredded potatoes, shredded at a perfect size (in my opinion) so that they allowed for the true texture lovers to enjoy, and were served with a scallion sour cream and bourbon-apple chutney. The chutney was a little heavy on the golden raisins but had great flavor.

I expected the place to be a little more crowded (especially having been a Friday afternoon at about 4:30) but enjoyed that its emptiness meant for great service. Our server was quick to return and answered all of my questions (I tend to ask quite a few, as almost anyone who dines with me knows).

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Exceeds

-b


EastBurn

1 comment:

  1. I love that you called your dining companions "meaters." From now on I want you to call me one too! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete