Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Clyde Common

1014 S.W. Stark Street
Happy Hour 3-6 p.m.

I am sorry to say that Clyde Common was a big disappointment. We chose this place because it sounded like it had exciting and unusual Happy Hour food and drinks, but based on my experience I doubt I will be back again.



It is rare that I order a drink that I won't finish, but the One Trick Pony ($5) I ordered from the list of Happy Hour cocktail specials was one of those drinks. I thought since it had maraschino liqueur that it would be cherry flavored and sweet, but maybe I was confused about what maraschino was? In any case, it was NOT good. It wasn't sweet and had a flavor that I definitely disliked. My friend's drink was inadequate as well, and none of the other drinks really appealed to me (many of them have whiskey/bourbon in them, which is not really my thing).



I ended up ordering two items off of the Happy Hour menu. One was the house pickles ($3). Maybe it is because of my lack of sophistication, but when I saw house pickles on the menu, I thought it would be a variety of different kinds of PICKLES. You know, like the kind you get on the side of your sandwich. Unfortunately, they were the worst kind of pickled VEGETABLES imaginable. Pickled beets, eggs, mushrooms, and cauliflower. I can't imagine anyone (well, maybe, a pickled beet-lover) ordering this and being happy about it. I was actually extremely sad.


Slightly better was the grilled baguette with Nutella and orange marmalade ($4). I thought it sounded very European, so I thought I would give it a shot. It was edible, but I wouldn't order it again. I guess not everything from Europe is better.



Overall, I just got the impression that Clyde Common was trying too hard to be exotic and different. I like trying new things, but this place made me long for standard Happy Hour food and drinks that actually taste good. Sign me up for some artichoke dip and a quesadilla!

Food: Does Not Meet
Drink: Does Not Meet
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Does Not Meet

--E

Clyde Common on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. Somehow I came across this blog and just have to comment about how really off you are with your judgements on the food and drink. Making the eater 38 list for Portland, actually being on the top of this list, is quite an achievement and could never be done if the food was as poor as you have made it out to be. This place in fact is frequented by foodies from all over the world. One problem I have is that you are judging the food by eating off of the happy hour menu. That is crazy. Why not go and have a real meal there before judging it. If you don't have the money then get another job to pay for it or save a little. Then you can give your two cents.

    As for the drinks. You most likely do not have a refined palate. Jeffrey Morgenthaler has won numerous competitions and is consistently revered as one of the top bartenders in the country.

    Maybe you should try your luck over at Applebees, or for a splurge try Red Lobster. They have amazing mozarella sticks and they make a great Lemon Drop. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your feedback, though I have to respond and disagree.

    First, the reason why I reviewed and judged the food for Happy Hour is because this is specifically a Happy Hour review blog. We say in our title that we don't have a lot of money to spend--insulting me for not having money is pretty silly. I believe that part of the point of having a Happy Hour is to try out the food to see if you want to splurge on a better meal there in the future--Clyde Common's Happy Hour was definitely lacking since neither of us wanted to return and wondered what all the hype was about. Many restaurants we have gone to that are more pricey DO have a good Happy Hour that made us want to try a full meal. I have every right to give my two cents on my experience since I am comparing their Happy Hour to other restaurants' Happy Hours using the same criteria.

    If you noticed in the review, I am the first to admit I do not have a refined palate. My co-blogger didn't care for her drink, either--just because someone is revered for his cocktails doesn't mean that all of his cocktails are tasty to everyone.

    As far as being happier at Applebee's or Red Lobster, I don't feel it is too much to ask that a restaurant has a Happy Hour that has food that tastes good and is satisfying. We have numerous reviews on here for local restaurants that we enjoyed very much. Attacking me for being unsophisticated misses the point--this top rated restaurant had a below-average Happy Hour (in my opinion).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you think that if you are culinarily challenged, you should refrain from blogging about your experiences to the point that they come up on the first search on urbandrinks and numerous other sites. It's a sad world we live in when everyone's opinions have the same weight. When you're uneducated opinions steer people away from one of the best restaurants Portland has had in 20 years (besides Zefiro of course)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, why is it so hard for you to accept that someone didn't like their happy hour experience at clyde common? I've just had a look at other reviews and there's good and bad, as I'd expect. Your responses come across as personal both in your defence of this establishment and your derogatory comments towards the author.

    Anything to share with us anon?

    ReplyDelete