Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Davis Street Tavern

500 NW Davis Street
Happy Hour: Monday - Saturday, 4 - 6:30 PM


Never before had I really understood what people meant when they said that something was just too rich to finish. I can finish chocolate cake--even flourless chocolate cake that's meant to taste like a truffle--without any problems. And fancy cheeses, too. Even cheesecake. Maybe I just have a better strategy when going about it. A bite or two, a sip of...water, milk, coffee, wine...and then another bite. It's not hard....or at least that's what I thought. The macaroni and cheese at Davis Street Tavern is rich. RICH. It was almost too much. It's a good thing that I have experience, or I would have had to put down that fork.


I'd been to Davis Street Tavern twice before now. (It was date number two...which makes it special.) Not too long ago we were here as a whole family. My sister called and they were able to squeeze us in. With a table for ten, that's not always possible. I've always been impressed with this place. And, although I've yet to actually order it, they have one of those prix-fixe specials. It's a guarantee of three yummy items for a fixed rate of just twenty-six dollars. It's an ideal concept, I think. Going for happy hour only sealed the deal on this place. It's at the top, for sure.


Before I savored the incredibly rich dish of velvety (their choice of words, not mine) macaroni and cheese, I had a salad. I've had this same salad (and had been equally impressed) for dinner but with a greater price and I'm sure a greater portion. I honestly didn't expect so much for just four dollars. The salad was a mix of butter lettuce and baby spinach topped with sliced radishes, grape tomatoes and Rogue River blue cheese (a substantial amount, I might add).


I shared a few bites of my salad with my boyfriend in return for a few spoonfuls of his tomato basil bisque. The soup had the flavor and texture that makes a bisque so much more than just a bowl of tomato soup. Plus, it was served with a slice of bread that had been sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and toasted to what I would call perfection. To follow the soup, he ordered the sausage plate. It came with mustard and chutney, two types of sausage and grilled bread. I can't say much about it...but, he seemed more than pleased with his selection.


The happy hour menu at Davis Street Tavern is quite long (long enough that I will have to come back in the near future to try something more). The choices range in price and in size (many of which could easily suffice as dinner) and are followed by a few selections of beer and wine. Both of us ordered a glass (wine for me and beer for him) and then, later on, another


Food: Exceeds
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Exceeds

-b

Davis Street Tavern

No comments:

Post a Comment