Sunday, June 06, 2010

Salty's

3839 N.E. Marine Drive

Happy Hour Monday-Friday, 4-6 p.m., Sundays 4:30-close

We ended up heading to Salty's on Memorial Day just after 4 p.m. I had never been there before so wasn't sure what to expect, but I always heard good things about their brunch and dinner. The only thing that kept me away was the price, which made going for Happy Hour perfect!


The Happy Hour requires that you buy at least one drink, so I got a Bloody Mary ($4.25). You have to be in the right mood for Bloody Marys, and sometimes I feel like they are too spicy. This one was just perfect. It was garnished with two green olives and a pickled onion (which I did not eat since I hate onions). It was so good, in fact, that I ordered another one.


I ended up ordering a twisted Caesar salad ($1.99) and a cup of seafood chowder ($3.99). My boyfriend got the bacon cheeseburger ($6.99), coconut flaked prawns ($4.99) and beer-battered fries ($1.50). I enjoyed the Caesar salad, but I wasn't sure why it was considered "twisted." It seemed like a normal Caesar to me, and it was a good value for the price. The seafood chowder was also good, but nothing spectacular. Together, these items would not have filled me up at all. Luckily the serving of fries was pretty big, so I was able to steal some. The fries were really, really good and were a great deal. I would order them again next time.


I always shy away from ordering shrimp as an appetizer because they usually don't give you very many, which leaves me hungry and disappointed. My boyfriend made this mistake with the coconut flaked prawns. He received three prawns, which means they cost more than a dollar each, and I didn't really feel like they were worth the price. I also think that $6.99 isn't that great of a discount for a Happy Hour burger without fries, but he said it was a really good burger.


Overall, I enjoyed the food and drinks at Salty's. The service was friendly and attentive. One drawback I did notice about the Happy Hour menu, however, was the lack of vegetarian offerings. The only thing vegetarians can order are the fries, and possibly the twisted Caesar (depending on if it is made the traditional way or not). In fact, they don't really have any vegetarian options on the regular menu either. I doubt my vegetarian friends will want to come here for Happy Hour or dinner anytime soon.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Nearly Meets

--E
Salty's on the Columbia on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment