Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Vino Paradiso (now Coppia)

417 Northwest 10th Avenue
Happy Hour 4-6 p.m.

Vino Paradiso is a wine bar/restaurant in the Pearl. Happy Hour is new here, and unfortunately, the Happy Hour prices on food make you realize that you are indeed in the Pearl. Relatively speaking, six dollars for an appetizer isn't too bad, but the appetizers that we ordered were quite mini. Luckily, I had a big sandwich for lunch, so I wasn't terribly disappointed by the small portions.

On the positive side, the restaurant is bright and inviting. It seemed like it would be a nice place to come for dinner. The server was nice and offered extra bread when we got our cheese plates. The wine was good, and it is two dollars off at Happy Hour, so you can try a more expensive glass without spending too much money.

I ended up ordering the Italian Blend wine ($6 at Happy Hour). This was a refreshing white wine. I don't know much about wine, but I do know that I don't like most Chardonnays. This wine was perfect for a summer day--cold and mild in flavor. My favorite part about Vino Paradiso was the large selection of wines and the fact that the glass of wine came with a mini carafe of extra wine. This reminded me of ordering a milk shake at a diner and getting the extra bit of shake in the metal container--what's better than a drink that comes with more drink?! Not much.


My friends and I all decided to order the cheese plate ($6), thinking logically that cheese and wine go perfectly together. Maybe it was a mistake for all of us to order the same thing, because that meant we were all kind of disappointed. The cheese plate had two pieces of cheese, small slices of apple, some sort of chutney/nut mixture, and two slices of walnut bread. The server offered more bread, which included an olive bread. I liked the bread and apple, but the cheese wasn't my favorite, and it just wasn't that substantial.


The other items ordered by the table included a lamb burger, flatbread, and a salad. The flatbread and salad were normal sized, but the lamb burger was also mini (in its defense, it was awfully cute). Many other Happy Hours offer full-sized burgers for a similar price, so this was probably a disappointment. I didn't try any of the other food, so I am not sure how it was.

Overall, I thought that the drink specials were good, but the food portions need to be bigger (or cheaper) to compete with other Happy Hours in the area.

Food: Nearly Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Does Not Meet

--E

Vino Paradiso on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your comments. Though I am late to respond here, I did respond to this blog post by talking to my chef about his portions on the Happy Hour cheese plate, and since then it has been way more substantial. In defense of the Happy Hour burger, it may look small from some angles, but it is actually a 1/4 lb of meat. You may have noticed that it was pretty tall, and that is because it is less flat than tall. And, he uses local, all-natural lamb, and makes his own whole wheat bun,which I hope adds value in my guests' eyes. Thanks again, and please give us another try. I think you be glad you did!!--Timothy, Owner of Vino Paradiso

    ReplyDelete