Friday, July 30, 2010

Trebol

4835 N. Albina Ave.
Happy Hour: 5 - 6:30 PM and 9 - close


I think I've found my new favorite food. It's five dollars, served at a restaurant within walking distance of my boyfriend's house, and full of fresh ingredients that I love. Yum, yum, yum. My sister told me this place was good. She's got pretty good taste. I didn't know, though, that the fantastic food options, fresh drinks and frequent happy hours would bring me back two days in a row. The two of us stopped by for dinner. Without even seeing the happy hour menu, I knew I'd be back to try it out soon. I didn't realize that soon meant the very next day. As embarrassing as that sounds, Trebol is one of those places that I will go to again and again. And again. Even if it means going there day after day.


We had spent a good portion of our evening walking through the crowds and past all of the vendors on an extremely busy Last Thursday on Alberta Street. (If you haven't experienced Last Thursday on Alberta, it's time. That street has grown so much since I first moved to the neighborhood in '97.) All of the restaurants and bars on Alberta were full, naturally. So we made our way from Alberta over to Albina. Trebol is located just south of the intersection of Alberta and Albina, close to the main business district on Mississippi. It's super close to two really popular areas of town...so it's easy to get to AND easy to get a table. We got there just as they were starting the second happy hour of the day.

Food and cocktails on the happy hour menu at Trebol are all at about five dollars each. It's a small price for some pretty fantastic food. Their regular menu has entrees starting at $12 and drinks closer to $8. Knowing this, I was afraid that the servings sizes would be too small to suffice. I was wrong.


I ordered a pineapple Caipirinha to start. I've had the regular version of this drink at Trebol and other locations and prefer it to the ultra fruity blend. I guess it's one of those drinks that shouldn't be tampered with...it's best in its original state. I will remember that for next time. (I'm not sure if the people of Brazil would agree with me, though, as it is their official drink.)


My cocktail choice might have been less than spectacular but what I decided on for dinner (with the help of our server) was--by far--one of the best happy hour food items I've ordered in a long, long time. (And working diligently on the food blog during summer break has led me to try a whole lot of things.) I kinda want to go back and get more right now just thinking about it. For dinner, I ordered the five dollar spinach and cheese quesadilla. It doesn't sound like much, I know, but it was amazing. It consisted of layers of sauteed spinach, four corn tortillas (they use the smallest tortillas), and cheese. And it was topped with a big scoop of house-made guacamole. So good! Again, it doesn't sound like much. But it was. It really was. Even the picture is too dark to show you how wonderfully appealing it looked. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

Food: Exceeds
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets (it's a bit dark)
Value: Meets

-b

Trébol

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, this place sounds really good! I need to try it!

    ReplyDelete