Friday, August 13, 2010

900 Wall - Bend, Oregon

900 Wall Street
Happy Hour: Daily, 3 - 6 PM


900 Wall Restaurant is located in downtown Bend between many shops and within walking distance to Drake Park. It's a cute neighborhood...and for someone visiting Bend for the very first time, it's an area I'd like to spend more time in. I'd also like to spend more time exploring the menu at 900 Wall as it has a lot to offer. Their happy hour menu alone consists of well over fifteen items, ranging in price from one to nine dollars. Nine dollars is a bit much for a happy hour item, but when it comes with salad or fries and is the same size as what's served off of the dinner menu, it's not that big of a deal.


I was too busy studying the menu the first time our server stopped by to take our drink order. In fact, I hadn't even looked at the drink side yet. He was just that efficient. And when he returned, I still hadn't quite made up my mind. With a little convincing (using great supporting details, I might add) I ordered the happy hour flight of wine. It was nine dollars, but came with four half glasses...making it a great deal. It was not, however, red wine. Instead, I tried two glasses of rose and two whites. The first had a bit of a honey taste to it, making it my least favorite. It didn't coat the mouth like honey does and wasn't as sweet as some drinks (like my favorite martini at Vault) but did carry the flavor. The remaining three glasses were fantastic. It was a hot day (one of the supporting details in his persuasive speech) and the white wines did well to keep me cool. I guess I don't always have to have red wine.


Although there were plenty of items I could have tried on the food menu, I was set on one after hearing the description. The portobello mushroom sandwich sounded downright amazing from his description...and it was. It was, however, big and MESSY. Rather than making a fool of myself--trying to fit the giant stack of bread and filling into my mouth--I decided to lose the top slice of bread and turn this into a fork and knife kind of meal. It was necessary, I am sure. This sandwich was AMAZING. I loved it.


The portobello was marinated in a balsamic vinegar and cooked in the brick oven (I think that's what he said to make it sound so appealing). It was served between two giant slices of focaccia that had been grilled. And then there was the added flavor from the thinly-sliced fennel and arugula. Yummy! The sandwich itself was filling but was served with a side. I can't quite remember all of the options but know that there are two types of fries available and both are house-made. I went with a salad instead but only because I was feeling a little short on greens.


Service at 900 Wall was pretty fantastic, too. Our server came back multiple times and wasn't the least bit annoyed when he brought the bill and THEN we requested separate checks (which we only needed so that they could be submitted for reimbursement). I also loved the way the flight of wine was delivered. I've never seen it done that way. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I just HAD to take a picture.

Food: Exceeds
Drink: Meets
Service: Exceeds
Ambiance: Exceeds
Value: Exceeds

900 Wall Restaurant

2 comments:

  1. Beth--Wow! This place sounds awesome...and to think you had to go all the way to Bend to find it. The sandwich sounds delightful...gonna try to make something similar here at the house. Love portabellas! Thanks for continuing the food blog....love reading where you go! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that wine flight! Every place should have those!!!

    ReplyDelete