Saturday, August 14, 2010

Blacksmith - Bend, Oregon

211 NW Greenwood Ave
Happy Hour: 4:30 - 6:30


After three hours of hiking at Smith Rock, we were ready for a comfortable chair, a little air conditioning AND a refreshing beverage. We had dinner plans later in the evening, but knew that a small snack wouldn't hurt after the calorie-burning hike up Misery Ridge. We found all of these things at the Blacksmith Restaurant, located just a block off of Wall Street in downtown Bend.


We must have been the first to enter the building at opening as the servers were quick to greet, seat and serve us. They did mention that the main dining room had been rented out for the evening and that the bar area was going to fill with regular diners. Perhaps there were extra servers to meet the expected needs that night. Or maybe they are always that efficient. Either way, we didn't have to wait for much of anything on our visit this afternoon.


Like usual in a new place, I requested a little help with the drink menu. Specialty cocktails are just five dollars each during happy hour and beer and wine is discounted, too. I ended up ordering the Grapefruit Go Go, which tasted just about as fresh as can be. I was a bit worried before I asked the server for suggestions, but knowing that this is one of the most popular cocktails, I went for it. They must have been using fresh grapefruit juice along with the fresh lime. This is a drink that I could easily recommend to others.


To go with my cocktail (and my hungry appetite), I ordered the grilled vegetable quessadillas. There were three of them, but they were TINY. Cute and tasty, but not quite enough for the seven dollar price tag. The presentation was pretty spectacular, though. I would have been disappointed if I'd expected this to be dinner. Knowing that dinner was still to come, I wasn't worried at all.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Exceeds
Service: Exceeds
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Nearly Meets (the food's a bit pricey)

-b

Blacksmith Restaurant

1 comment:

  1. Is that a B written in the sauce? At first I thought it must be a B for your name, but maybe for the name of the place? Or maybe I am imagining things!

    ReplyDelete