Saturday, August 28, 2010

Life of Riley

300 NW 10th Ave
Happy Hour: Daily, 4 - 7 PM


They call it the casual alternative in the Pearl and that's exactly what it is. They've got comfy booths, outdoor seating, a fully-stocked bar and a menu that includes fresh approaches to typical pub fare plus some tasty veggie alternatives. And they've got fun fun fun and games in the basement. It's a great place for a crowd, late at night or when the sun's still out and the food specials are aplenty.


I was totally impressed with the food I selected off of their happy hour menu. It wasn't just the tofu (in fact, on its own those little bits might have been a little too plain) but the total flavor combination that made the tofu tacos so very good. The tofu was chopped and topped with red onions, pepper jack cheese, fresh pico-de-gallo, and a creamy cilantro crema. They were served in pairs with a little lime garnish for just four dollars and made me as happy as can be. Yum!


My boyfriend ordered a plate of the piglets in blankets. They were super cute (but something I wouldn't eat) and served with ketchup and a stone ground mustard. I did take a little nibble of the doughy "blanket" and was impressed with its homemade flavor. These are most definitely not poured onto a baking sheet straight from the freezer bag. Now, if only I can convince them to make a meatless version, too.


There were plenty of fancy cocktails on the menu (most around $7.50) but I decided to go with the ol' standby. Yep, that's right, a gin and tonic with extra lime. It was as it always is...super refreshing and totally my style. This time, however, it was an extremely full glass making the value that much greater.

Service was pretty good at the Life of Riley. I'm sure it's a different story when the place fills up at night, but for our daytime visit, our server took great care of us. She was patient as we tried to make up our minds and came back to check on our drink status on a fairly regular basis.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b

Life of Riley on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Life of Riley is one of my favorite spots in the Pearl. Their downstairs is a completely different vibe than their upstairs (especially later), and the last time I was down there I played shuffleboard for hours. I apparently very much suck at shuffleboard, but it was still awesome.

    ReplyDelete