Monday, August 09, 2010

Radio Room

1101 NE Alberta
Happy Hour Daily 3-6 p.m. and 11 p.m.-2 a.m.
Note: $5 minimum drink purchase required

Radio Room is a fun place with a wide variety of cocktails (although there is no H.H. discount) and plenty of food choices. There are also options for vegans, vegetarians, and people with gluten allergies, all of which are helpfully labeled on the menu.

One thing I disagree with about Radio Room's Happy Hour is that there is a five dollar minimum drink purchase required, which means you have to order a drink with alcohol in it. What about pregnant or nursing mothers who can't drink alcohol? What about alcoholics? What about Mormons? I think having a minimum drink price of $2 would be much more inclusive.


That being said, I was eager to try one of their specialty cocktails! I ended up ordering the Upper Deck Lemonade ($7) which was a definite winner. It came in a sugar rimmed pint glass, and was a mixture of raspberry puree, vodka, and lemonade. This was a delicious drink, and I would order it again and again. My second drink was also good--I had a vodka with grapefruit juice ($5). I'm not sure, but I think the grapefruit juice may have been freshly made at the restaurant. The other drinks that I took sips of weren't as delicious (One Two Punch and Regular Bill).


The food specials are quite reasonable. We ordered the Hummus Plate ($4) to share. This was not the best hummus I have ever had, to be honest. It was so garlicky that it almost hurt, and I am sure my boyfriend will not be too happy about the excessive amount of garlic on my breath. It came with chopped tomatoes, pita wedges, cucumbers and olives. My favorite were the olives and the cucumbers; the chopped tomatoes were a bit awkward (how do you share something like that?)


I also ordered the margherita grilled cheese ($4). With basil, provolone, balsamic, and chopped tomatoes, this was a pretty good grilled cheese. My only complaint is that it could have more cheese--maybe if it was cheddar it would have a stronger flavor.


I was also talked into dessert--the Strawberry Alarm Clock ($5). This sounded delicious but didn't quite make it. Strawberries stuffed with chocolate, covered in dough, fried and topped with whipped cream sounds great right? Well, I found that a hot strawberry doesn't taste so great. I loved the whipped cream, but the rest of the dessert didn't do it for me.

Our service started out really great, but it took a really long time to get our bill. I liked our server a lot, though. She was friendly and helpful.

I would try Radio Room again (in fact, we plan on going next Monday at 9 p.m. to try out their free Bingo!), but it seems that their cocktails are better than their Happy Hour food. Maybe next time I will order off of the regular menu!

Food: Nearly Meets (avoid the Hummus plate)
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

--E

Radio Room on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment