Monday, September 06, 2010

Por Que No?

3524 N Mississippi Avenue
Happy Hour: 3 - 6 PM

The menu said it was the mid-day meal. Tacos were discounted by fifty cents and the prices were lowered on most drinks. Regardless of what it said on the menu (and on the door), I say that's happy hour. And when I come across a happy hour, I'm gonna write about it.


I've been to Por Que No? once before. My boyfriend lives just a couple of blocks away. We are lucky, of course, because we can get there without much effort, without the need to park, and we can usually avoid the long lines. And if the line is too long, it's not as if we drove all that way...we just go somewhere else instead. There are plenty of other places nearby. Today we made it when the line was still pretty short. We decided it was worth the ten minute wait. By the time we left, though, it was a different story. The line was out the door and down the sidewalk.


Por Que No? has two locations and they both draw the same amount of attention. I haven't yet been to either place during the typical dinner hour. We seem to have better luck in the late afternoon or pretty late into the evening. I think I'll stick to that, with the exception of making it over for brunch one of these days. I noticed the menu posted today and am quite tempted to try it out.


Since they were discounted, I went with two veggie tacos. And to make it more of a meal I added a side of rice. The rice was topped with Pico de Gallo and made a pretty great accompaniment to my dinner choice. The tacos looked pretty small in the basket but filled me up. They were stuffed (and I mean stuffed--you'll need a fork to pick up what falls out) with all sorts of veggies. There were zucchini slices and peppers, plenty of tomatoes and onions, and some pinto beans, too. I didn't add any extras (as there was hardly room) but might go with a little crema next time to cut down on some of that heat. My boyfriend had two tacos, too. He enjoyed both but was most impressed with the fish taco.



I did plan ahead for the heat with my drink choice. (I admit that I'm a wuss when it comes to heat. I've been out of what I like to call "spice tolerance training" for a few years now.) I had been tempted by the margaritas (they are a great price during happy hour--you can get a full pint glass for just seven bucks) as well as the sangria but decided to go with the Horchata instead. There was a more "advanced" version--spiked with rum--but I wasn't feeling the need for anything extra.

Service isn't anything special at Por Que No? but has never been disappointing. Sure, the wait can be a bit aggravating but you kinda have to know that's what to expect. The employees are all super friendly and take good care of you when you finally make it to the counter. But once you've got your number, you're pretty much set as far as they are concerned. The food will find its way to you eventually and in the end, you'll be busing your own table anyway. It's pretty self-serve that way. And it seems to work.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Exceeds

-b


¿Por QuĂ© No? on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment