Saturday, January 08, 2011

Muu-Muus

612 NW 21st Street
Happy Hour: 4 - 7 PM

It was NOT my first time in Muu-Muus. It probably wasn't even my first time being there for happy hour. I actually had to check the blog postings from the past to see if I had, in fact, already posted a review about this place. I hadn't and it was definitely time. And, like usual, I was impressed.

Service isn't always the best at Muu-Muus. It's obvious, though, that it has nothing to do with the servers themselves. They are quick to get to the table and all, there just seems to be too few of them. This time there were just two men (both wearing plaid shirts and with similar hair cuts--how confusing) and the place was pretty much packed. It was a Friday on NW 21st, after all.

I have two favorites on the menu and neither include a happy hour discount. Oh well. (I still ordered the Thai Coconut Soup...and I'll be back again soon for the grilled portobella sandwich. It's SO good.) Their happy hour menu consists of a list of small plates ranging from 4 to 6 dollars. It's a pretty long list and will keep most people pleased. At our table, we selected four items to share (some I didn't taste due to the meat factor, but I thought I'd include the pics just the same).


We started with guacamole and chips. It was pretty basic and an item quick to hit the table with little prep required. I'd suggest it anytime you feel the need to eat as soon as you are seated (which happens too often these days).


Next out was the roasted garlic plate. It came with a hunk of soft (but toasted) bread, a pile of blue cheese, and some kalamata olives. And the roasted garlic, of course. The combination of garlic and blue cheese was fantastic. I don't think I'd ever mixed them so strategically before and I loved it. My boyfriend did not. Something about garlic. His loss, I say.


Also at the table was a plate of pot stickers. The menu has quite a bit of an Thai influence. (One of the two favorites mentioned above is the Thai Coconut Soup. It's a must every time I'm there...even after ordering so many small plates at happy hour.)


And last was an order of tuna. I can't say much about it other than it's always so pretty to photograph. The lighting wasn't quite right to pick up all the color, but I'm sure you can imagine.


To drink, I went with a vodka gimlet. (I'm fairly certain that I've mentioned at least twice before now that it's one of my new faves.) This one was not as yummy as so many others. The lime to vodka ratio was a bit off. And, unlike the typical complaint, it was too heavy on the lime. Seriously, the acidity in that drink caused some pain. I usually order the strawberry-infused vodka lemonade at Muu-Muus but thought it to be too summery. I guess I'll just have to stick to what I know to be so tasty, despite its being out of season.

Food: Exceeds
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b

Muu-Muus on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment