Saturday, January 08, 2011

Teardrop Lounge

1015 NW Everett St
Happy Hour: Weekdays, 4 - 7 PM

I was REALLY excited about the concept of the cocktail menu available at the Teardrop Lounge. I actually came across an article (a snipit, really) in a copy of Sunset magazine that I found at the gym describing all of the award-winning concoctions designed by bartenders worldwide and made available at our own Portland establishment. I was so excited, I made the mistake of stopping by on a weekend afternoon. Happy Hour at the Teardrop is weekdays only! So after two visits, one at full price and one with a discount, I feel especially prepared to write this review.

The Teardrop Cocktail Lounge is awfully classy. It's in the Pearl, though, so what isn't. They've got random videos playing on a big screen in back, a zen-like sand garden in front, and seating that allows you to be seen (without being too incredibly comfortable). Okay, when I say classy I really mean trendy. And the prices match...so I suggest you either come prepared or stick to those drinks that are discounted during the three-hour happy hour.


I started with a glass of wine because I was a little overwhelmed with the cocktail menu when the server first approached our table. Even with a glossary, there were some ingredients that I was just too unfamiliar with to place. My boyfriend must have felt the same way because he selected a beer. Later on we both tried something off of the cocktail menu.


My choice was the milk punch. It was served in typical punch glass and was garnished with enough nutmeg to convince me that I was really drinking eggnog. It was a little too fruity for that, though. I did finish the glass but never quite decided if I enjoyed what I was drinking. It was a strange mix of fruit and dairy that didn't quite sit well with my palette.

The food options only allowed for a light snack. We ordered a cheese plate and the truffle oil popcorn. My boyfriend also ordered a bowl of the soup which he found to be a bit too smokey for his liking. I don't pay too much attention to chicken noodle soup offerings, but even I found the added smokiness to be a bit odd.


The cheese plate was SO not worth the price, even at just a few dollars. Even though each sliver of cheese was paired with some sort of fancy fruit, it seemed as though the portion was so small that there wasn't enough to really get a hold of the flavor.

The truffle popcorn was easy to consume though, but didn't seem like anything more than really buttery popcorn. And it was the buttery quality that made it such a go to. The popcorn itself was very much the "bottom of the bowl" with little itty-bitty pieces and some kernels that didn't quite pop as much as they should have.

There was a lot of build up behind visiting this place. (It was in the Sunset magazine after all.) After two visits, I can say that I probably won't be back.

Food: Does Not Meet
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b

Teardrop Lounge on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment