Saturday, March 19, 2011

Belly - CLOSED

3500 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
Happy Hour: 5 - 7 PM (or all night while seated at the bar)


It's been quite a long time since I last posted to the food blog. Long enough that I almost feel the need to explain. I won't. But you should know that Spring Break officially started at 3:25 Friday afternoon. And that means that there will be plenty of time to go out during the next week. There will be plenty of time to explore new places. And plenty of time to write reviews. I've set a goal (a SMART goal, if you will) of getting to at least six new places during the week. I'm fairly certain that it's an attainable goal (especially after hitting five last year during Spring Break) and there are plenty of supportive people out there who are willing to join me in my efforts.

The sun was out just long enough to inspire us to walk to happy hour on Friday afternoon. (It rained before we were done, but that was to be expected.) It was not warm enough, however, to have us eating outdoors.


We walked to the corner of MLK and Fremont to a restaurant that I've driven by a number of times but hadn't yet made it to the top of my happy hour "to do" list. I had heard that it was a little overpriced. I had, apparently, heard wrong.



The happy hour menu at Belly has plenty of food options to choose from and the prices range from two to seven dollars. Drinks are a fairly typical price, too. They have PBR tallboys (a must in certain parts of Portland) for two bucks, wine for five, and a daily cocktail (Mike's Mix) priced at just five dollars.


Both my boyfriend and I opted for a glass of red wine. I can't recall what it was exactly, but do remember the fig qualities in the flavor and the fact that it was a good sized pour.


The red wine seemed to be a perfect match for my food choices as well. We started with a salad, to share. It was a mix of greens, dressed in a vinaigrette, and topped with feta.


Soon after the salad was served, our plate of tots arrived. These, however, were not typical tots. They were instead cubes of polenta that had been fried just long enough to allow for a golden layer to form while still leaving a "melty" center. I have learned to love polenta during the last year or so and have made a practice of ordering it when it is available during happy hour, dinner, or even at breakfast but I had never tried anything like these before. The novelty made them fun...but the flavor made them something I want to go back for. They were so yummy I could have easily shared another plate or four.


My boyfriend ordered the hamburger with cheddar cheese. (He could have also added bacon, avocado or caramelized onions.) It arrived last but was anything but overdone. I was worried that it was a little too undercooked...but my boyfriend assured me that it was perfect. So perfect that he was still talking about hamburgers the next day. I only wish they had a garden burger on the menu, too, as I was really in the mood for a well-topped burger.

My favorite part was when they delivered the bill. It was served with two teeny-tiny lavender sugar cookies. Our server was great the whole time, attending to my many questions and giving us just the right amount of time to decide, etc...but this was something extra special that made service at Belly something to write about.



Food: Exceeds
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b

Belly on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I really wanted to love Belly. I met a girlfriend and enjoyed drinks, the decor, good service. The tots were the best but everything else was not memorable for me. :(

    ReplyDelete