Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Buffalo Wild Wings (with YoCream for dessert!)

Buffalo Wild Wings
9810 NE Cascades Parkway
Portland, OR 97220-6825
Happy Hour 3-6 p.m.

My boyfriend asked me, "Is it even worth it to do a review for this place?" The answer, of course, is yes. People need to know whether or not to bother with this happy hour, especially since lots of people might consider coming here after stopping at IKEA. I also think a review is in order since their happy hour specials aren't even listed on their online menu. Finally, my co blogger (and others) have been dropping hints lately that maybe I am not doing my fair share of reviews on here!


If I'm being honest, the real reason we were at Buffalo Wild Wings was because I wanted to go to YoCream. My boyfriend is not a frozen yogurt lover (even self-serve, choose whichever toppings you want--yes, he's crazy). I thought if I offered a combination of wings and yogurt he would be more likely to agree. My diabolical plan worked when he discovered online that it was also Tuesday 55 cent wing day.

Many people dislike chain restaurants. I understand, but at the same time, I can enjoy myself just about anywhere where there is food. We've eaten at Buffalo Wild Wings before for dinner, and while it wasn't the best food we'd ever had, it wasn't bad. Unfortunately, happy hour here was a disappointment.


If you are just looking to order a few drinks and watch a game, this place would be PERFECT! They have good deals on drinks--$3.50 margaritas, cosmos, and lemon drops, $3 well drinks, and $1 off tall beers. I started with a lemon drop. Not great, but worth the $3.50 price tag (it even had a sugared rim). I also had a $5.25 tall Hefeweizen.


However, we also wanted food. All of the food specials are $3. They didn't have my favorite thing on the HH menu--buffalo chips with cheese on top. I ordered a side salad and mini corn dogs (I can't resist this treat when it is offered). My boyfriend ordered eight of the 55 cent wings with a 50 cent side of ranch and the french fries. The best value here was definitely the french fries. They were good and a big portion. The worst value was my side salad. The most tacky thing about it was that the salad dressing came in a one of those individualized serving bags like you get when you go through the drive-thru. It made me feel like my salad sucked before I even tried it. It just wasn't very good at all. The mini corn dogs were good. You just can't go wrong with these, but I also wouldn't make a special trip for them. The wings were decent but not as good as you would expect from a place with wings in their name.


The bright spot at Buffalo Wild Wings was the service. Our server was friendly and efficient, and I would argue that this is true of most servers at chain restaurants (unfortunately, this is not always true of all servers at local Portland restaurants). There was also a scavenger hunt you could do on your phone that led to a $5 off coupon that you could use right there, so that saved us some money.


However, the true bright spot of the evening was when we finally made it over to YoCream! I just can't get over this place. You can taste as many flavors as you want in little mini taster cups to ensure that you get the perfect kind of yogurt. They always have both chocolaty flavors and fruity flavors (my personal favorite). They have ten million toppings that are fresh and delicious. You get to put as much or as little of as many kinds of yogurt and toppings as you want, and they weigh it to figure out how much you have to pay. They also have a punch card so you can earn free yogurt.

The key for success for me at YoCream is to always get a fruit flavored yogurt because the fresh fruit toppings are my favorite. On this visit, I got blackberry yogurt and topped it with fresh blackberries, strawberries, pineapple and shredded coconut. The shredded coconut adds a little something extra. My boyfriend got a little excited with the honey bear and accidentally put some on my yogurt. I was mad, but I tried not to let it show. It ended up tasting okay after all.

So, if you have learned anything from this blog entry, it should be this: Buffalo Wild Wings should be avoided unless you have to use it as a bargaining chip to get some YoCream!

Buffalo Wild Wings:

Food: Does Not Meet
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets (with a coupon)

YoCream:

Food: Exceeds
Drinks: N/A
Service: Exceeds
Ambiance: Exceeds
Value: Meets (can be quite spendy if you get carried away on a giddy, self-serve yogurt frenzy)

--E

Buffalo Wild Wings on Urbanspoon

YoCream Frozen Yogurt on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Cascade is so much better than the other BWW, Wood Village has just terrible service and they act like they are doing you a favor by coming over after 5 minutes to get you a drink. Food at all of them is the same, only been to 3, but if you want good service, stay away from Wood Village

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buffalo Wild Wings has a big time case of big head syndrome.They change their sauces without notice and change the menu customers get hooked on without notice.Started out good as a casual dining concept but fading fast since they think no matter what they do to you or the food you will still come,no loyalty, big head!!!

    ReplyDelete