Thursday, March 24, 2011

Casa Naranja

4205 N Mississippi
Portland, OR 97217
Happy Hour Tuesday-Sunday 4-6 p.m.
and 10 p.m.-close Tuesday-Saturday
So, once again, our happy hour strategy revolved around frozen yogurt! This time we were trying out a place on Mississippi, so we looked at places nearby that had happy hour. While the grasshoppers at the Thai place next door sounded tempting, we ultimately decided on Casa Naranja a few blocks away. I was pleasantly surprised that a place we picked pretty randomly ended up being so good!

I started with one of the two beers on tap, a Ninkasi IPA ($4). If you are a beer drinker, this is definitely a beer you will enjoy. My friends had Sangria ($5), though, and I was a little jealous when I saw it. Maybe next time!


For food, I ended up ordering the casa burger with escabeche and chevre ($7). I wasn't sure what escabeche was, and I was a little worried when I found out that it was onions and peppers. Those are two of my least favorite things. I decided to try it anyway since I was assured that it was really good. I don't know what exactly made it so special, but somehow the onions and peppers tasted delicious instead of disgusting. The chevre also was delicious--I had never had it on a burger before, and it was perfect--I thought it might be too mild to taste, but it really stood out. This was really a great burger--fresh, tasty, and big enough to fill me up.


I also tried a few of the yam fries ($5) that my friend ordered. These were different than other sweet potato fries I have had before. They were bigger, and they seemed to be breaded in something sort of like a tempura. I liked them a lot (I still think Bonfire Lounge has the absolute best sweet potato fries in Portland, though!)

This was the first time anyone had ever asked us what we were taking pictures for (the owner?) It was a little embarrassing, but we admitted that we do a Happy Hour review blog. Luckily, I really enjoyed this Happy Hour, and I happily recommend it!

Food: Exceeds
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets (super nice and friendly even before he heard about our silly blog)
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

--E

Casa Naranja on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment