Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Palace of Industry - CLOSED

5426 N Gay
Happy Hour: 5 - 7 PM (Closed Mondays)


Palace of Industry was unknown to me until two weeks ago and now I want to tell everyone about it. It's practically magical. This place is perfect. It's like a vintage shop and bar all in one. You can sit on super old couches with your friends, nosh on a tasty treat (even vegan cupcakes), sip a champagne cocktail and play dress up in the same evening, in the SAME location. It's completely ideal. I want to live there. That's how fantastic it is. Whoever thought up this place (even if they copied the concept from someone or somewhere else) is a GENIUS.


Both the food and drink options are limited. (But it doesn't matter.) They've got some beer and wine, sake, and champagne cocktails to drink, a few sandwiches and dips to eat, and cookies and cakes, too. There's space at the bar or you can sit closer to the racks of clothes that are for sale.


My sister bought the cutest sweater. She tried it on while we were waiting for our sandwich to be ready. I was more interested in reading the old postcards sitting at our table...but really, there's plenty to peruse in this place. (Did I mention that I LOVE it?)


We both ordered a glass of wine to drink but also decided on a champagne cocktail to share. There were a few to choose from, but we opted for the Fancypants. It came with a sugar cube that added all kinds of fizz to our glass.


For snacking, we decided on the crunchy veggie dip and a sandwich. The veggie dip came served with chips and was pink in color. I decided that there must have been some beets mixed in. I didn't taste them but couldn't think of anything else that would add such a vibrant red color. Maybe red cabbage? I don't know. It was tasty, though, and we even considered ordering a second plate.


The sandwich was just barely grilled but turned out to be perfectly warmed and melty just the same. We were doing our best to be adventurous and ordered a strange take on the typical grilled cheese. It had cream cheese and orange marmalade in it. Weird, but good. My sister thought it was a little too heavy on the marmalade...but I think she just got one bite with too much in it.


We were there on Tuesday. The woman working the bar (and potentially the owner) said it was Girl Group (or ladies night). They have other events as well...including Euchre every Sunday afternoon. I don't actually know how to play...but I've heard it's a fun game and totally popular in the Midwest.


Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Exceeds
Value: Meets

-b

Palace of Industry on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the wonderful writeup! And, yes, I am the owner. I'm glad y'all had a good time at my place & hope we'll see you again. Your blog is a real treat, by the way. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete