Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tiga

1465 NE Prescott
Happy Hour: 5:00 - 8:00


I'm fairly certain I've driven by this place in the past, but if it wasn't for my favorite happy hour app (and the fact that they serve happy hour until 8) I probably wouldn't have ever stopped in. Thank you, technology.


This time I was out with both of my sisters. We were interested in food, at a discount, and within a few blocks. This place seemed perfect. (How many places offer happy hour until 8? Usually they stop and start again for late night, if anything.)


We ordered at the bar (which is what you do there) and found a seat in the back. We were seated next to a table of adult (obviously, it's a bar) students who were there to practice their conversational Spanish. Both of my sisters took Spanish in high school (and have taken more since) and could tell that this was definitely a beginner group. I, having taken German, knew close to nothing of what was being said. It was fun eavesdropping, nonetheless.

Drinks came out quickly but the food took some time. And it was delivered one at a time. Good thing we weren't in a hurry because it seemed that there were just two people working the whole place. One, at the bar, and the other, in the kitchen. And it was BUSY. They were moving quickly...and most people seemed to understand. I'm hoping someone called in sick and they aren't always that overworked...but since I've never been there before, I can't say for sure.


We ordered salads, calamari (none for me, thanks) and a plate of linguine. The linguine was very simple--with parsley, lemon, red pepper flakes, Parmesan cheese and that's about it--but was pleasing to the palate.


The salads went down without much comment (mostly because I was so hungry). The dressing was light and the portion a good size.


The calamari was the one thing that didn't go over so well (and as a vegetarian, I only know this from listening to my older sisters). One suggested that they put it back in the fryer for another ten minutes so that it was a little less doughy and a little more ready-to-be-served.


To drink, both of my sisters ordered a glass of red wine but I opted for the vanilla cocktail. It was a mix of lemon and vanilla vodka and turned out to be much more than I expected. My guess is that they infuse their own vodka there (although I didn't see any signs of this...but...it was dark). It was obvious (from the little black specks) that this vanilla was straight from the bean. It was sweet but not too sweet and I really, really liked it.

The one thing that makes me not want to go back to Tiga (and I hope it was just a one-time occurrence) was the smell. It wasn't a stale smoke smell (I'm so glad I live in a smoke-free state) but more of a kitchen smell. Maybe they need more ventilation. Either way, the smell is still in my coat today. And I don't like it.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Nearly Meets (if it wasn't for that smell)
Value: Meets

-b


Tiga

No comments:

Post a Comment