Sunday, May 29, 2011

Brix Tavern

1338 NW Hoyt
Happy Hour 3-6, 9:30-12:30, and all day Monday
www.brixtavern.com

There were both good things and bad things about Brix Tavern. The absolute BEST thing was the smoked cheddar fries with bacon ($3.95). These are AMAZING, and if my boyfriend wasn't so selfish he would have remembered that we were supposed to be sharing them (I got about three of them.) The calamari ($7.95) was also good (even though it's not really my thing--too fried, too chewy, too tentacle-y). The dipping sauces were all delicious. The Huckleberry Gimlet was great ($4).


Not so good? The Mango Martini ($4) was watery and uneven. The pizza ($8.95) needed more sauce and more cheese. The tavern salad ($3.95) was decent, but my balsamic vinaigrette was just oil mixed with vinegar, which I did not like at all. Not even a little bit.


The ambiance was interesting. It was really bright inside (I couldn't decide if I liked this or disliked it, but it made it easy to take photos), and there was a dart board and a pool table. It seemed like a mix between a fancy restaurant and a pub, so that was a little odd, but it could be fun. I felt like I might feel awkward playing because the games seem to be right in the middle of where people are dining.


I think since this is a new place they are still working out the kinks. We had to wait awhile in the beginning for service, but the server made up for it by apologizing many times and she also comped our drinks even though we did not make the slightest fuss. She was super nice and service was good after the initial wait.


I would definitely go back for the fries, and I would like to try the other cocktails--$4 for fancy cocktails at HH in the Pearl is a great deal. They also offer pot pies on the regular menu, and I have never tried a real pot pie before (just the TV dinner kind my mom used to make--and those were pretty amazing!)


Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

--E

Brix Tavern on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment