Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Amalfi's Take Two

4703 NE Fremont St
Happy Hour: 3 - 6 p.m. daily, late night happy hour from 9 - close Monday through Saturday

Amalfi's was voted for having the best Portland Happy Hour by The Happy Hour Guidebook. To me, to rank among the best Happy Hours a restaurant should have a good discount on both food and beverages, and it should have great service. Unfortunately, on this particular visit, Amalfi's fell short of qualifying for a "Best Happy Hour" in our book.

Our table of three started our with a small carafe of Sangria ($10--enough for each of us to have a glass). This was enjoyable but not the best Sangria I have ever had (I think La Costita does a better version!) I believe there was one drink special, but it didn't appeal to any of us. There wasn't a discount on other drinks at all. I would really appreciate a discount on house wine, beer, and well drinks, at least.


I started with a house Greek salad ($1.95). This was the best part of the meal! It was a little heavy on the dressing, but I liked that. It was a great mix of salty flavors, and both people who ordered it really enjoyed it.


Since we were doing a Happy Hour Crawl (invented by my co-blogger?), I ordered just one more thing--the artichoke dip ($3.95). This is a pretty standard Happy Hour item and it's hard to mess up. Even I, a non-cook, am able to make a fairly decent version at home. Unfortunately, this was just not good. It was extra greasy and salty, and the bread that it arrived with was too herb-y and moist. I did not care for it at all.


The service was good. Our server was polite and friendly and he brought out extra (plain) bread for us.

Food: Nearly Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

--E
Amalfi's Italian Restaurant on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

  1. I've never been impressed with them actually. Glad to see you agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!

    They actually do offer $3 pints of Coors light and Bud for happy hour, as well as a dollar off their house red and white wine, making a generous pour $5. In addition, they offer a rotating happy hour cocktail (different each week) made with top shelf liquor and liquer. I suggest you try the habanero passion fruit martini, it's to die for! Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post disturbs me...I wish you would have gotten your facts straight prior to making this post on your blog. They have great drink specials - and NOT well liquor like most restaurants. My girlfriends and I frequent Amalfi's a few times a month for Happy Hour and have found the food & service Amazing, everytime. We always enjoy the great company of the friendly staff. Additionally, the bathrooms are wonderful - filled with lotions, hairspray, deodorant, etc, etc! They really pay attention to detail. Sorry you didn't get this experience and fell short of the truth on your post. don't know how much merit I can put in your blog now after reading this post

    ReplyDelete
  4. If they have happy hour drink specials, our server neglected to mention them to us; I did my post based on our experience there--there wasn't anything listed in the menu he gave us either. I was not trying to be dishonest in my review at all, and I would have loved to try their drink specials.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I checked the menu online (which doesn't list prices until you open the pdf version) and Amalfi's DOES offer twenty cocktails (which is pretty fantastic)...however, they only offer ONE discounted cocktail during happy hour (which rotates weekly).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete