Monday, June 06, 2011

Touche

1425 NW Glisan
Happy Hour: 5 - 6:30 Monday through Saturday
Late Night Happy Hour 10 - close Monday through Thursday, 11 - close Friday - Saturday (their kitchen stays open until 2 AM)
ALL NIGHT Happy Hour on Sundays


Although it's not a place I frequent, Touche has been a standby in my family for big dinners for the last ten years. We've had at least three birthdays and one graduation dinner there. And when the foreign exchange student returned as an adult with his own family to visit, it was the place we took them. They are really good at taking care of a big table. And there's enough variety on the menu that everyone is pleased in the end.

With all of the visits in the past, it was hard to believe that I hadn't already been by for happy hour. I actually double checked when my boyfriend questioned it because I wasn't 100% sure that I hadn't already done a review.

We stopped by on a Friday afternoon a few minutes before opening. We waited at one of the patio tables for the sign to turn and quickly decided that sitting outside was not an option. One, it would require sun block. And two, it's LOUD out there. Too much traffic noise can cause a real damper on an afternoon outing.

The menu has a lot to offer--with items ranging in price from $3.50 to $8.00--and enough sizable items that happy hour can easily become an early dinner. And not even that early, for that matter, since the discounts apply until 6:30 and again in the late evening.


I opted for the Margherita pizza and a house salad. They call it the Mista Salad but I am not entirely sure why. It's fairly basic with a vinaigrette, a few slices of cucumber and a couple wedges of tomato. I'm working on my veggie intake (I'm always working on my veggie intake), so I'd order a salad here despite how simple it is. Plus, simple can sometimes be EXACTLY what I need in a salad.


The pizza was WAY bigger than I expected (but still smaller than some places). The crust was perfectly chewy and the sauce-to-cheese ratio was right on. There was an extra dusting of fancy cheese on top that had started to melt into the mix, but I could still tell that there was a little extra effort put into this plate. I shared a few pieces...and even without them, this was definitely enough to make a meal.


To wash all that down, I enjoyed a vodka gimlet. (I know, I know...I'm becoming predictable. Actually, I've always been predictable.) It was missing the sweetness that I prefer. It was still good, mind you, I just had to sip it a little slower than usual.

Now, if I had been here at any other time other than happy hour, you have to know that I would have ordered the Fettuccine Davide--minus the chicken, add mushrooms. (I said I was predictable, right?) It has been my meal of choice at Touche for more than ten years. Sure, I have fewer options being a vegetarian...but this is what I ALWAYS turn to. It's got a great balance of creamy sauciness with just the right amount of sun-dried kick. Yummy.

Knowing how things usually are at Touche, I wouldn't want to end this review with too much negativity toward the service. It's usually fairly fantastic...I mean, they have successfully served my family of ten without any complaints multiple times. I'm going to have to make an excuse for the server this time cause he was S-L-O-W. It was obvious, though, that he was busy multitasking, getting all of those things ready for the dinner crowd. I forgive him, but if it happens again, I'm going to have to edit this post.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b


Touche Restaurant and Bar on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. FYI: "Mista" is Italian for "mixed". If they had been consistent in their use of Italian, it would have been "insalata mista".

    ReplyDelete