Monday, July 11, 2011

Fleming's Steakhouse and Wine Bar in Chicago

25 E Ohio Street
Chicago, Illinois
Happy Hour: 5 - 7 PM, daily


I know. I know. The name of the blog is Talk.Eat.Drink.Portland...but every time I'm out of town (especially when it's for an extended period of time) I do my best to explore the happy hour potential of the city. I was in Chicago for just under two weeks and only had time for two happy hours. Disappointing, yes. But I was a busy girl. There also aren't nearly as many restaurants offering happy hour. (Comparing the number of happy hour locations on Urbanspoon or on the GoTime Happy Hour App made it clear that Chicago doesn't do happy hour like Portland does. So far, I haven't found any place that does!)


Fleming's, however, seems to know what they are doing. Apparently they are all over the nation but just not in Oregon. (Maybe someday?) Fleming's is a steakhouse (there are SO many steakhouses in Chicago it's almost ridiculous) that offers happy hour from the moment they open until seven every night. (So far, so good.) They have five food items, five wines, and five cocktails all going for six dollars apiece. (It's a little pricey compared to Portland's happy hour standard but NOTHING in comparison to the price of cocktails in Chicago.) We stopped in on our first afternoon (as it was just a few steps from the hotel).


I ordered the tropical martini and was pleasantly surprised by the attention to detail as the server brought the chilled glass (with garnish) and a small martini shaker to the table. I was able to get a good picture of the pour (but am more than convinced that she found me to be one of the most picture-happy tourists around). I had originally been all about ordering the mojita bonita...until I found out that it was only 99 calories and made with some sort of saccharin-like sugar substitute. (I also refuse to drink diet soda...it's a part of who I am.)


There are never very many options for me as a vegetarian when dining at a steakhouse (especially at happy hour). I was relieved to find that Fleming's offered a mushroom ravioli and not just the typical plate of pommes frites. And they were exceptionally tasty. The sauce was very light and there was just enough grated cheese on top.


I am not sure if I will be back to Chicago (or any of the other cities listed on Fleming's website) anytime soon, but I don't mind recommending this happy hour to everyone who may or may not live near one (even though it is technically a chain restaurant--one of my least favorites to review).

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Exceeds
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Nearly Meets


-b


Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment