Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Irving Street Kitchen

701 NW 13th Avenue
Happy Hour: 4:30 - 6:00,


Irving Street Kitchen has been on my to do list for WAY too long. (The last place that stayed on the list that long closed before I made it in.) Thankfully, it's close to a million (okay, not quite) other restaurants in the Pearl...so when they didn't have too many vegetarian-friendly items on the food menu at one place, this was our next stop. And although they don't have too many food items on their menu, they do have mac and cheese.


Macaroni and cheese is a staple on so many happy hour menus. Some people might think it is a little too overdone. For me, it's safe. And it is sometimes the only meat-free option. So I say, keep 'em coming. They are, however, not all created equal. And a lot of it really depends on personal preference. For me, this one was pretty good. It didn't have too much breadcrumb topping, it didn't taste too much like flour and not enough like cheese, and it came out hot but not burn-the-roof-of-your-mouth hot. The extra special addition that they use at Irving Street Kitchen to make their mac and cheese extra special is smoked salt. For me, it added just enough smokey flavor to make me wonder if there might have been some ham or bacon built in. It didn't, but the smell (and taste) of smokey things always makes me wonder.


Also at the table was a good-sized portion of the Smoked Tasso Jambalaya. (Again with the smokey flavors!) This one had enough smokey smell to it to give off the impression that it was going to be TOO spicy. Luckily, it was not.


The two of us had wine with our meal, one glass of the Syrah Blend and one of the Grenache Blanc. Both are just six dollars during happy hour...but are smaller pours than what are regularly served. (I noticed across the way that when you order wine off of the regular menu, it is served in a cute little Mason jar allowing you to fill your glass and have some extra waiting on the side.)


I didn't have a chance to look through the regular dinner menu, but I enjoyed the atmosphere so much that I'm pretty certain I will be back for dinner sometime soon. Or maybe just another visit for happy hour.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b

Irving Street Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment