Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Mio Sushi - Hollywood Location

4204 NE Halsey Street
Happy Hour: 4 - 6 PM

Mio Sushi has happy hour? I know, I thought the same thing. But when I saw it posted on the door a couple of weeks ago when I was in for lunch, I knew that I needed to go back.


There have to be a dozen or more Mios around these days. They started with that one teeny location in NW Portland and now have restaurants across Oregon. (I think I read somewhere that they are opening the first one in the Seattle area soon, too.) We stopped in just as they were reopening yesterday afternoon (they close between lunch and dinner, so make sure you check the hours first if you are planning to pick up some sushi or one of their bento boxes). The Hollywood location was the most conveniently located for the four of us but the parking is always such a pain. Mio parking at this location is shared with the 24 Hour Fitness and there are never enough spots in that garage.


We started with drinks while checking (and cross checking) all of the menus. They have quite a few special rolls listed by their name only on the happy hour menu. Luckily, the sushi menu was there for us when we didn't know exactly what was in the Volcano Roll.


I ordered the Pom Pom Saketini even though there wasn't a discount. They have other drinks that are included in the happy hour pricing, but the idea of this mix sounded super yummy. And I loved it. The sugar rim was a little too much, though. It seemed a little thick.


I was able to order the tempura appetizer from the happy hour menu with only veggies (it regularly comes with shrimp). When it arrived at the table, I was happy to see the assortment. There were green beans and carrots, broccoli, an onion ring and a slice of squash.


The best value it seemed was the roll combo. It came with two rolls (about sixteen pieces of sushi) and could have easily become dinner if paired with some miso or an order of edamame. I didn't order it, of course. Instead, I ordered the super veggie roll off of the regular menu. It's only three dollars, making it a better deal than many of the happy hour sushi choices (which are more expensive due to the high quality ingredients, of course). I've always loved their super veggie roll (it comes with the bento boxes that I've had so many times before).

They have all sorts of perfectly decorated desserts at Mio Sushi, but we opted to go next door after sushi for self-serve frozen yogurt at Sweet Cream. It's a smaller location serving YoCream with all of the toppings you would ever want. So yummy.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Exceeds
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Exceeds

-b

Mio Sushi

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know they had happy hour. That's pretty cool. Mio isn't my favorite sushi. It's kind of generic, middle of the road sushi in my opinion but it's cheap and easy to get into. Masu and Bamboo are the best I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My absolute favorite place for sushi is the original Takahashi on SE Holgate.

    ReplyDelete