Monday, August 22, 2011

Shakti's - Wenatchee, Washington

218 N Mission Street
Happy Hour: 4:30 - 6:00


With only two weeks of summer break remaining, I knew I needed to make the most of this extra long vacation. (We are starting the school year with furlough days this year.) I packed up the trunk and put just under 1000 miles on the car in seven days time. Along the way, I stopped in Wenatchee, Washington (for my first time as an adult...it had been quite awhile) to visit my college roommate. I had told her ahead of time how I wanted to spend my time (besides catching up, of course) and going to happy hour was, of course, on that list. So on the very first night we walked into Shakti's.



Shakti's offers five dollars off all appetizers during happy hour. (When I had first looked online I thought that it had said all apps were five dollars....) With a discount of five bucks, the appetizers all drop in price to eight dollars. In my opinion, that's still a little spendy...but they are high quality options. Things like crab croquettes and clams aren't going to be listed for $3 on any menu (and if they are, I'd be a little bit hesitant about the actual ingredients).


We started with drinks and then ordered the only two vegetarian options on the menu. My college roommate (despite her dislike of onions) ordered the Warm Artichoke Gratin. The onions were caramelized and only added to the flavor of the artichoke spread. Also mixed in were toasted pecans. Plenty of cheese, too. But instead of using the typical assortment of Parmesan or Asiago, this restaurant chose to substitute Gruyere. It was topped with a couple of roasted red peppers and served with plenty of bread.


I ordered their Crimini Marsala. When I had at first placed my order, our server shared with us that they had just pulled that dish from the menu due to a lack of ingredients. Luckily (she was nice enough to go check since I wouldn't be able to order anything else off of the menu besides another dish of Gratin) they had just enough criminis to make one more dish. It was quite tasty--with plenty of freshly chopped garlic--but might be something that needs to be shared in the future (and my college roommate lives by a strict no mushroom lifestyle). It was a lot...and not just in the actual amount. It was a lot of the same flavor...and the same texture.


To drink, the two of us ordered cosmopolitans. There is a list of six happy hour martinis, all down to just five dollars each. (You can get wine for the same price or they have Stella draft and well drinks listed at just three dollars each.) The cosmo was like any other cosmo I've had. It seems that they are one of those foolproof drinks. This one came without the sugared rim, making it much easier to finish (sometimes they are just so sticky).


Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Exceeds (fantastic patio seating)
Value: Meets

-b


Shakti's

No comments:

Post a Comment