Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Trader Vic's

1203 NW Glisan
Happy Hour: 3 - 6:30 and 10:00 - close, weekdays


Trader Vic's is back in Portland. After how many years, I'm not sure. (I suppose I should look that up. I'll do that now.) Fifteen years! No wonder. I was just about to say that I don't even remember being to or driving by or anything...but I guess I wasn't here to have had the option. Trader Vic's moved out of the Benson Hotel in 1996, just one year before I moved into the dorms in '97. But knowing that it came back after all this time is kinda interesting, right? I suppose some people are super exciting to relive certain traditions or memories or whatever. I was just excited to try a new happy hour.

Happy hour at Trader Vic's runs from 3:00 to 6:30 and again from 10:00 to close...but only on weekdays. And the seating area for happy hour is pretty much HUGE. It includes the bar, the upper area that stretches WAY around the backside of the bar, and some outdoor seating, too. (It's big like Henry's but you can actually get a seat!)


The drink menu is just as big (and it's my understanding that so are some of the drinks--the menu claims that one drink serves four!). Not all drinks are discounted during happy hour...but quite a few are. I tried the Kamaiina which is full of coconut flavored rum and served, appropriately enough, in a coconut shell (plastic, of course). It was sweet like candy and I probably could have ordered four more. I didn't, thank goodness. But I could have. And if I had, it wouldn't have been too spendy because during happy hour the Kamaiina are only five dollars each. That's a good price.


Not included in the happy hour discounts (but served with a keepsake, making it totally worth it) is the Menehune Juice. I had never heard of these little Menehune but I figure that they were the inspiration for the Doozers. (I also think that they might be a distant relative of the Oompa Loompas.) It's some pretty interesting folklore that I think you outta look up if you haven't already. And when you order the Menehune Juice, you get to keep the little Menehune Man.


The snacks listed on the happy hour menu would probably please the meat eaters more than they did me. I guess there were three things total that I could have ordered... but I just wasn't in the mood for fries or chips, despite the fancy dipping sauces. So I ordered the Edamame Hummus. It was definitely pretty but didn't have the most exceptional flavor.

Our server was fantastic (super friendly, answered questions, commented on the choices we made, etc.) but was working alone in a pretty big area for most of the time we were there. (Poor thing!) I hope it was just a one time thing and that they aren't trying to save by having too few servers in the place. I guess I'll have to return to see if it's any different (and next time I think I'll bring enough people to order one of those giant fishbowl drinks).

Food: Nearly Meets
Drinks: Exceeds
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b


Trader Vic's

1 comment:

  1. Food is very average-below average
    Service is lousy

    ReplyDelete