Saturday, September 03, 2011

Daily Grill

750 SW Alder Street
Happy Hour: 4 - 7 PM, daily

Yes, it's in a hotel. But it's a Westin. That means something, right? After all of the traveling I did this past summer break, I'm starting to appreciate the amenities that a hotel restaurant has to offer. And this place has a lot to offer. They've got super comfy couches and chairs, iPads built into the bar, and everyone working there wears a smile.


Daily Grill offers happy hour pricing (on both food and drinks) from four to seven every single day. And it's not like some places where you can only get certain wines at a discount. They will drop the price by two dollars on any wine you want. For me, though, I was more interested in the $5.50 martinis.


Ordering a vodka Gimlet (especially at a discount) can sometimes lead to a bit of a surprise. I learned pretty early on to request it served up rather than over ice...but I'm not so sure that I can request exactly how it's made. (That might be overstepping just a bit.) So every once in a while when the vodka gimlet comes out to the table, it's a neon green color. And when it's a neon green color, that means that it was made with (most likely Rose's) sweetened lime juice. It's not bad...but it's not as good as when it is made in the more natural way (like, with limes). At Daily Grill, they make the good gimlets. And they make them at a discount. And that makes me happy.


The five of us went through a lot of food at happy hour but I wasn't able to get pictures of everything. (It's hard some days to get everyone at the table to stop and wait while I try to get the best picture possible.) We had sweet potato fries, hummus, wings, artichoke dip, more hummus (this time the trio of hummus from the regular bar menu) and more fries. oh, and the Side Kicks (which are the cutest little sliders ever.) All of it was tasty (at least all of it that I tasted), and all of it was at a fairly good price.


The hummus came served with flatbread, cucumber, and radishes. The happy hour serving is pretty small (compared to some places) but has great flavor. After the trio of hummus arrived, though, I decided that I liked the Kalamata olive hummus the best.


The sweet potato fries came with both ketchup and blue cheese dressing. And they were still hot when they made it to the table.


The spinach and artichoke dip was warmed, topped with an extra layer of melted Parmesan cheese, and come served with grilled crostini. And when we ran out of crostini and still had plenty of dip left, our server was happy to bring more.

The service at Daily Grill was probably the best I've had in a long time. She was beyond friendly, checked on us frequently (we were there for quite a while), and was ready to take one last order just minutes before the discounts during happy hour ended. (That's always a good sign.)

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Exceeds
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b

Daily Grill

2 comments:

  1. The sweet potato fries are calling my name! I need to check this place out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. I found your blog and can see that you really care about food and food experiences in Portland.

    I'm working with an event that is a really unique food/music/experience. It isn't a restaurant, but it's such a compelling story... I thought I'd share it with you, in case you decide you'd like to write about it. (I may be able to get you free ticket or two, if you are interested!)

    the event is The Blind Cafe. It's coming in October on the 14, 15th and 16th (Thurs-Sat)

    Here's some info and feel free to email or call me to get more info (press release or to ask questions!

    The Blind Cafe is an award winning community awareness concert and dinner in complete darkness. All the wait staff are blind and there will be a Q&A with them as well.

    It’s a mind-bending, heart-opening experience where you can explore your other senses, free of visual distractions in a safe, fun and meaningful environment. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Oregon Lions Sight & Hearing Foundation.

    Thanks so much and I hope you will share this news of our special event with your friends and fans. Thanks for considering...

    Mandy

    Mandaline Godown
    mandaline.evosolutions@gmail.com
    720.935.2138

    ReplyDelete