Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Deschutes Brewery and Public House

210 NW 11th Avenue
Happy Hour: 4 - 6 PM, Monday through Friday

We stopped at the Deschutes Brewery for a quick bite to eat before an event at the Armory (they are across the street from one another, making the Deschutes Brewery a great option before any showing at the Gerding Theater). Doors opened at five-thirty, so timing was perfect to enjoy the discounted food and drinks that they offer during happy hour. The bar was packed with the majority of the crowd watching the game (what game, I have no idea) and so we were especially pleased to learn that happy hour is offered throughout the entire establishment between four and six on weekdays.

Service was pretty fantastic the entire visit. We were seated within minutes (which I was a teeny bit worried about since we had somewhere to be in just over an hour) and the server assigned to our table was quick to check on us. He was super friendly and gave great suggestions.


It would have made more sense for me to order a beer at the Deschutes Brewery (since that is what they are known for) but that's just not who I am, so I selected a glass of red wine. They have close to a dozen beers on tap at all times, offer sampler trays with teeny-tiny glasses, and include as much beer (or beer-making ingredients) into the food items on the menu as possible (candied malt on the salad, pale ale in the aioli and butter, and creamy stout in the pasta). The wine was good. Probably not as good as the beer, but still good.




For dinner, I selected a side salad (with candied malt sprinkled around the edge of the plate) and a small plate of the macaroni and cheese. The mac and cheese I had had once before. I remembered it being good. It is a special recipe that includes just enough sweet chili sauce. It's good...but it is one of those things that I probably won't recreate at home (mostly because I usually only make mac and cheese at home when I'm in the mood for some serious comfort food). Just because I won't make it at home, though, doesn't mean I won't come back for more.




My fiance had the chicken wings (which was a serious risk while wearing white) and an order of the fries. He made it through the whole meal without making a mess and seemed to enjoy every bite. The fries were good (I know because I had quite a few) but were made even better when dipped in the accompanying sauce. It also had just enough sweet chili flavor.

Thanks to the great service, we made it out on time and were in line at the theater minutes before the wait time tripled. The good food was followed by a good show and made for a pretty great night.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Exceeds
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b

Deschutes Brewery & Public House

1 comment:

  1. I love the Deschutes Brewery in Bend but haven't tried the one here in Portland yet.

    ReplyDelete