Sunday, October 30, 2011

North 45

517 NW 21st Avenue
Happy Hour: 4 - 6 PM daily, All night Monday, 10 - Midnight Wednesday

North 45 is housed on the food-filled street on NW 21st. Lined with restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and the occasional nail studio, twenty-first avenue provides hungry patrons with options. If one place is too full, too pricey, or too dark, it only takes a few more steps to find something else. Finding a restaurant is easy. Finding a parking spot might require a little more patience.

We had planned to meet on Friday night (early afternoon, really) after my fiance experienced the all-night happy hour the Monday prior. (All-night happy hours are THE BEST.) He loved the mac and cheese and I loved the leftovers (which are not always allowed during happy hour...so extra points were earned for North 45 before I even walked in the door).


Vodka gimlets are considered well drinks at North 45 and priced at four dollars during happy hour. We had two to start and two to finish. They are made with fresh lime (no neon green gimlets at this place) and have the perfect proportion of sugar to lime.


I ordered the mac and cheese (partly because I already knew it was going to be good and partly because they didn't have much else to offer without meat--even the green beans were tainted). It was creamy and delicious and a perfect size for the price (just $4.50).


My fiance had the buffalo chicken sliders ($6) that came skewered and served in a tower. They were so attractive that they caught the eyes of the couple nearby and another two towers were served soon after.


Arriving to the table a bit late (it was lost in the shuffle, I suppose) was a plate of the caprese skewers. They were exactly as they sound...mini mozzarella balls and tomatoes served on a skewer and covered with balsamic and olive oil as well as a sprinkling of fresh basil.

Although every part of my experience was enjoyable, there's one thing I missed. I missed the opportunity to relax on one of "best" patios in all of Portland. Until I know for sure, I'll keep the best in quotes...but I hope it's true, because I'd love to add to my list of summertime favorites.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b


North 45

No comments:

Post a Comment