Saturday, October 01, 2011

Portland Prime

121 SW 3rd Avenue
Happy Hour: 3 - 7, Monday through Saturday
Late Night Happy Hour 10 - close on Saturday
All Day Happy Hour on Sunday


I didn't realize until recently just how many steakhouses Portland has to offer. When in Chicago during the summer, I felt that almost every restaurant was either Italian, a steakhouse, or an Italian steakhouse. Portland has A LOT of the same plus the Thai, Indian, and Lebanese restaurants that I love so much. I suppose I love steakhouses, too. They usually have pretty decent mashed potatoes, some sort of pasta dish, and great big salads with the freshest blue cheese crumbles. And I love all of those things.

Portland Prime is new to me (and I guess that means it's new to Portland...unless of course I just didn't ever notice it before now). They offer live music, friendly servers, and happy hour until 7. And the bar is pretty large, so there's likely to be plenty of seating without having to get there when the doors open (which is nearly required at a lot of places downtown).


We started with two of their five dollar cocktails. I went with the signature pomegranate cosmopolitan while my fiance had a vodka gimlet. It was a little too dark to take a high-quality picture, but you can see that they are both a pretty good size.


The cheese platter (which was officially listed as a Charcuterie & Fromage Sampler in the menu) was THE most artistic display of cheese and meat that I have ever seen. There were swirls of mustard and cute little stacks of sliced cheese. The flavors were strong but the quantities were small.


We also had the Spinach Dip. It was good--not great--and came with the DRIEST crostini bread. I understand that crostini is traditionally toasted...but this was over the top. Croutons would have been better and they are supposed to be dry.

Although the food wasn't too pleasing this time, the service was great. Our server was back with our drinks in what seemed like seconds. She was quick but super friendly.

I'm not dying to go back to Portland Prime for happy hour anytime soon...but that doesn't mean that I won't give their dinner menu a try. They've got macaroni and cheese AND a seasonal ravioli, asparagus, whipped potatoes, and a super yummy baked brie appetizer.

Food: Nearly Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b

Portland Prime

No comments:

Post a Comment