Thursday, June 21, 2012

Doug Fir

830 East Burnside Street
Happy Hour: 3 - 6 PM

Why has it taken SO long for me to write about happy hour at the Doug Fir? I know I've been there before, multiple times. I can even remember going for happy hour. I suppose it must have been before the food blog came to be.

 
Doug Fir is AMAZING. It's been one of my favorite music venues forever. It can get crowded, yes...but it's so nice to be able to see a band rather than to just know that they're up there, on that stage, so far away. And when you're not just there for the music, the bar has an excellent patio making this place a fantastic stop on a summer afternoon. Plus, there's a hotel attached...which makes this a perfect option for a staycation. (Just imagine--dinner, drinks, music, late night snacking, bedtime, breakfast. Yes, it's a lot of food--but it's all in one location.)


Happy hour runs from three to six, but you can find fairly decent prices on their bar menu all night. Prices range from 3 to 12 bucks on the bar menu, 2 to 5 on the happy hour menu. There were four of us that afternoon, and we were happy to share three items adding up to just seven dollars. I'd say that's pretty reasonable. The discount on drinks is pretty substantial, too...I, however, almost always go for the Brokeback Lemonade, which does not come with a discount regardless of the hour.

The Brokeback Lemonade is perfectly refreshing on a summer day (especially when basking in the sun on the patio). It's a mix of Stoli Strasberi vodka and lemonade. Seriously, I think I've been ordering this one for years. It's not my typical go to--but when at the Doug Fir, it's for me.



We ordered a plate of fries ('cause it's an easy sell for almost anyone) and a bowl of the Spicy Fried Garbanzos. The garbanzos, in my opinion, are like popcorn. Spicy popcorn. The two even have the same "stuck-in-my-teeth" qualities...except skin of a garbanzo bean is not as irritating as a popcorn hull can be.



Because I was also in the mood for something of the vegetable sort, I ordered a wedge salad. Rather than being topped with bacon, there were thin slices of radish atop my perfectly cut iceberg. In my opinion, all wedge salads should be made that way. There are a lot of bacon connoisseurs out there that might not agree. Perhaps a radish/bacon options should be in order. Or not. I can always order mine without.

The Doug Fir is one of those places that I would most definitely take someone visiting Portland for the first time. It's pretty high up there on the list for me. I hope you agree.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Exceeds
Value: Exceeds

-b



Doug Fir




No comments:

Post a Comment