Monday, July 09, 2012

Brasserie Beck - Washington DC

1101 K Street NW
Washington, D.C.
Happy Hour: 4 - 7 PM


Having been to over a hundred different happy hour establishments in Portland, I feel like I know what makes a happy hour a good happy hour. Discounts on BOTH food and drinks always earn more points. A variety of food options will please more customers. And for me, I need to see at least one vegetarian option or I get cranky. During the last few years, I have been able to visit happy hours in some of the larger cities across the nation. I've traveled to San Diego, New Orleans, Chicago and this year Washington, D.C for the NEA Representative Assembly....and I've made a point to try new places with every trip. And with each trip, I've reaffirmed my belief that Portland knows happy hour. (I've also learned that Portland knows how to recycle, how to include bicycles as a major mode of transportation, and how to celebrate local breweries. Yay Portland!)


It became more obvious to me that Portland excels at happy hour when I saw the menu for Brasserie Beck's happy hour. The dinner menu may be fabulous, and even the bar menu might have some great items available, but the happy hour menu was piddly. They offer beer and wine only. And the discount isn't substantial.


I ordered a glass of the happy hour red wine for five dollars. The server quickly returned with a glass of white. I was able to benefit from her mistake and enjoyed both glasses for the price of one. The white wine would have been a better choice since it was hot hot HOT outside, but the flavor wasn't really what I was looking for. It had an extra something in it that hit my tongue in a place that most white wines don't.


Without any food items on the happy hour menu, we were forced to look through the bar menu for something to snack on. We opted for the cheese by the ounce (priced at six bucks per ounce) and let our server help in the decision making process. The cheese was served with fig spread, apricot cake, honey, nuts, and (when asked) bread. It was good, but very little food for the price.

Now that I have family living in DC again, there's a chance that I'll be back in the near future. When I am there, I will continue my search for good happy hour.

Food: Nearly Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Does Not Meet

-b




Brasserie Beck

No comments:

Post a Comment