Thursday, July 19, 2012

Mac! Mac and Cheesery

3936 N. Mississippi Avenue
Happy Hour: 3 - 6 PM daily & ALL NIGHT on Mondays


I love macaroni and cheese. It has to be homemade, though. I'm not the kind of person that will eat what comes out of a box...even when the cheesy sauce doesn't start as a powder. I ate WAY too much boxed food as a kid. I can't eat anymore. I'm the same way with TV. I watched it nonstop growing up and now I hate staring at that screen. (I can do movies, but I rarely turn the TV on.) Loving mac and cheese as I do means that I often opt for the gooey, cheesy, creamy goodness when I spot it on a happy hour menu. (Like, almost every single time.) I can tell you where it's good and where it's just so-so. I can even tell you who goes overboard on the breadcrumbs. But this place, this Mac & Cheesery, they specialize in the stuff.


We started with Mojitos. Fresh citrus mojitos were on the board as the official drink special. They had three to choose from: the original Mojito, a citrus Mojito, and a raspberry Mojito. I opted for the raspberry Mojito. I was expecting muddled raspberries to be in the mix, but it seemed more like an infused vodka. I can't say for sure if it's a house-infused vodka, but I can say that it was good. Across the table was a citrus Mojito. It was made with fresh lime (of course), lemon, and orange juice.

We had a lot of catching up to do and held off on ordering food for a bit. The server seemed to understand and was good about checking in but didn't get too pushy (which can happen all too often). He did recommend that we order a starter plate of fried mac & cheese balls, but knowing that I was going to get a plate of mac and cheese I felt that would be too much. (I did catch a glimpse of the order at another table and they look pretty good. Freshly made, too.)


When the time came, I decided on the four cheese mac and cheese. It's only four bucks during happy hour and the portions are HUGE. The original mac is a dollar less and still HUGE. I can't imagine ordering from the regular dinner menu. I would have to ask for a box from the very start. It's good, though. Super cheesy and with just the right amount of breadcrumbs.


I also got a glimpse of the original mac served with hotdogs. The hotdogs were sliced super thin so that there were enough to include in almost every bite. (Be sure to really work your plate, though. I wouldn't want anyone else to be left with a hotdog-less last bite. The last bite always needs to be the best bite.)


We also shared a salad. It's important to get in your veggies when pasta is involved. It's actually super important to get those veggies in no matter what. I love veggies. And this salad was piled high with 'em. There were fresh greens, cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers. And, like the mac and cheese, the portions were HUGE. (Especially considering the price.) It was just four bucks.

There's no question as to whether I'll be back to this place. They specialize in one of my favorite foods. And the service is good. And they have outdoor seating. And the Mojitos are fresh and served at a fairly decent price. (And there's my favorite frozen yogurt place next door--which we didn't make it to this time...but in the future, I'll totally find a way to squeeze it all in.)

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Service: Meets
Value: Exceeds

-b


Mac! Mac & Cheesery

2 comments:

  1. Next time try the Greek Mac! It's my new favorite. Like you, I started with the Four Cheese, but felt I should have veggies. The Greek is loaded with sundried tomatoes, klamata olives and artichoke hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this review - I have to go here now - LOVE mojitos and my son loves mac n cheese - we've been on a quest to find the best in Portland...

    ReplyDelete