Friday, July 13, 2012

Oven and Shaker

 Oven and Shaker
1134 NW Everett
Happy Hour 2:30-4 p.m. daily, and 10-midnight Sunday-Thursday
http://ovenandshaker.com

For being such a popular new place, I was slightly disappointed with Oven and Shaker. While they may know what they are doing in some areas, their Happy Hour leaves something to be desired. For one thing, it is such an odd time frame.  Who (other than teachers on summer break) is available for Happy Hour at 2:30 in the afternoon?  Most people are getting off work after Oven and Shaker's Happy Hour is already over!


 Another drawback is that there are no drink specials at all, and the cocktails are on the pricey side (from $8-$12).  Beer and wine are less expensive, but still a bit pricey (the cheapest glass of wine is $8).  A house white or red special would be easy enough to provide, right? This is in the Pearl, but I still think there should be a bargain of some sort during Happy Hour (our server didn't seem to think so--he rather bluntly said, "No," when asked about drink specials, making us feel a little foolish for asking). I went with the watermelon beer ($5) since I didn't want to spend too much. My friends both tried cocktails, but I didn't get to try them out. The presentation looked very nice, though.



We all ordered the semplice (pronounced "simpl-ee-chay," the server informed us) salad ($5).  This was a good salad with light dressing and an interesting flavor.  We also all wanted to get pizza, but the server let us know that we could probably make it by on two pizzas rather than one per person, which we appreciated.  I ordered a pizza that came with speck (prosciutto), leeks, and goat cheese ($8).  I enjoyed it, but it was a little on the salty side from the speck, and I would have liked even more goat cheese to balance out the flavor.  My friends got the margherita pizza ($7), which was very basic.  The pizzas are wood-fired with thin crust, and they are a nice size for one or two.


The restaurant's atmosphere and outdoor seating were both very pleasant (if eating outside, I would suggest not wearing a skirt--the benches make it a little difficult to get in and out without putting on a show).


Service was fine. I wouldn't say that the server was thrilled that we were there, but he was helpful and attentive.


Overall, I thought that this just wasn't a great place for Happy Hour.  With just a few improvements, I think it could be much better!

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Does Not Meet

--E

Oven and Shaker on Urbanspoon



No comments:

Post a Comment