Friday, July 27, 2012

Swift Lounge

 Swift Lounge
1932 NE Broadway
http://www.swiftloungepdx.com/
Happy Hour 4-8 p.m. daily, all day Sunday

I stumbled across Food Freak Unite's blog entry about fondue fries at Swift Lounge and knew I had to try this place. Although I had never noticed it or heard of it, the extra long happy hour (they call it "jolly hour"), mason jar drinks, and fondue fries made it a must try!


And I wasn't disappointed. I met up with two friends here, and we all had a variety of snacks and drinks, so I got a really good feel for what they had to offer. We started out with the mason jar drinks, and they were so good that we stuck to them for the rest of the night. My friends shared a 32 ounce Bitchy Parrot ($8) which tasted similar to a spicy margarita.  I ordered a 16 ounce Stoned Finch, which was just $5 during happy hour. This was definitely my favorite drink of the night, with cucumber, basil, lime and vodka.  I have had a similar drink at other places, but never shaken up in a mason jar!  Later on, I also enjoyed the Guilty Sparrow, which had citrus vodka, juice, lemongrass, and limoncello.  I have to admit that at this point I was encouraged to switch to the 32 ounce size since I was not driving, and I also have to admit I got a little tipsy. So either their drinks are strong, or I drank too much...I'm not quite sure! My friends also tried the special drink, which had a peachy, gingery flavor (which is not my thing, but they seemed to enjoy it). They also have a variety of other happy hour drink specials, so there really is something for every kind of drinker.



We started with the fondue fries ($4), which look kind of gross but taste pretty great.  I loved the french fries, especially, and wouldn't have minded just eating them on their own with ketchup. The male in our party liked them so much he ordered another batch.  I also had a Caesar salad ($3), which was good, but nothing special.  My friends also ordered pulled pork sliders ($4),  which came with two.  They said they were good but felt there was something missing.  I think what was missing was coleslaw!  There were pickles but no slaw.  Also ordered was the Kim Chee and brown rice ($2). Kim Chee is one of those things either you love or hate, and I happen to love it.  This was a simple, extremely spicy version that was really good (and cheap!) Definitely not for people who can't handle spice!  Luckily, there are lots of other interesting and cheap options on the food menu.



I also enjoyed the atmosphere.  There is a small amount of outdoor seating which we were able to take advantage of, and the inside area was also comfortable.  You do have to order at the bar, but during the time we were here there was never a huge wait.  The bartenders were friendly and quick even while making elaborate drinks.




Although we didn't stay long enough to experience it, they also have DJ nights and Monday Movie Night. Overall, I thought this was a really cool, affordable happy hour!  I would definitely come back to try some of the other specials.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Exceeds
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-E


Swift Lounge on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment