Sunday, August 05, 2012

Jam--A Second Perspective

2239 SE Hawthorne Blvd
www.jamonhawthorne.com/
Happy Hour 4-7 p.m. daily

Wanting to get out of the 100 degree heat, my fiance and I decided to finally give Jam's happy hour a try.  We love their breakfast (he always gets the corn beef hash, I always get the nor'wester), so we thought the happy hour would be good, too.  Unfortunately when we arrived we realized that it was not much cooler inside Jam than it was in our house.  I'm not sure if they don't have air conditioning or if it is just such a huge space that it doesn't stay cold.


 My fiance started with the special on tap--a ginger beer.  Unlike regular ginger beer, which isn't alcoholic, this was an alcoholic beer flavored with ginger.  Neither of us really cared for it, but it was only $2, so it wasn't a big loss.  I got the Chuck Berry ($7), which seemed like it would be perfect for me, but I didn't actually like it much either.  For my second drink I got the Kolsch.  I knew I would like it since I had it somewhere before,  and I also just like saying the word "Kolsch." At Jam the beers on tap are just $3 during happy hour, and they also offer well drinks for $3.  They are supposed to have a bartender's special cocktail, but this time the special was the ginger beer, so that was a little disappointing.


The food, though, was anything but disappointing.  I ordered the Asian Salad ($4).  This was a very substantial salad for a HH salad--enough to get me nearly full on its own.  I really, really enjoyed it.  My fiance surprised me by deciding to try the poutine even though it was made with vegan gravy.  He looooooooved it!  He even put the french fries that came with his burger in the leftover gravy.  I, on the other hand, did not really care for it. There was a strange flavor to the gravy, and I don't even like gravy that much in the first place.


I also ordered sweet potato fries ($3) and they were definitely in my top five when it comes to sweet potato fries.  They were perfect--crispy but not too crispy.  They were really, really good!  My fiance ordered the burger special, which had goat cheese, cucumber, bacon, pickled onions, and balsamic reduction.  Their burgers are huge!  It was delicious but very messy.  It would have been a better value to order a burger from the happy hour menu--they don't come with fries but are very cheap and still very big.


The service was good overall, probably even better than service I have experienced at Jam at breakfast.  There were a lot less people there for happy hour than are usually there for breakfast, so that probably helped.

Food: Exceeds
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets


--E







No comments:

Post a Comment