Thursday, August 23, 2012

Sam's Lounge (@ The Monarch Hotel)

12566 SE 92nd Avenue
Happy Hour: 3 - 6 daily AND 9 - close, Sunday through Thursday

Happy hour doesn't always have to be in a fancy restaurant. Sometimes it's not about the surroundings at all. Having good discounts is important, yes. And, of course, a food menu with multiple options (even for us vegetarians) is a huge plus. But a lot of the time, it's really about who you're with. And that's how I ended up at the Monarch Hotel way out near the Clackamas Towne Center. But, hey...they have a happy hour...so why not write about it.

At the Monarch Hotel, happy hour takes place in the lounge. They call it Sam's Lounge...which is perfect because I was there to see Sam's mom. And you can enjoy heavily discounted snacks from 3 to 6 daily and again from nine to close on all days but Friday and Saturday. There's a minimum purchase required on beverages but it's only $2.50.

I love catching up with friends (especially those that have moved so far away) over happy hour. We were there long enough to share a plate of nachos, a couple of fancy martinis, and enough gossip to make up for the past few months.


The nachos were just nachos, but they were pretty tasty. They were covered with diced tomatoes, green onions, black olives, plenty of melted cheese, and were topped with a dollop of sour cream and a scoop of guacamole. They weren't good for me, but I ate them just the same.


Martinis might also qualify as being not-too-good for me, but it's not like I drink them all the time. And I avoid the sugared rim as much as possible...which makes up for my decision to consume so many liquid calories (I think). I'll be back to my usual boring food self as soon as the school year starts anyway. That's my new favorite excuse. So there.


This martini was a play on the cosmopolitan...but with a few extra additions. It was tasty and super refreshing. On the other side of the table was the official creamsicle martini. Yum!

I'm probably not going to hit up the Monarch Hotel again anytime soon...but that doesn't mean they don't have a great happy hour. Instead of driving all the way out there, though, I think I'll just try to recreate the creamsicle martini at home. That sounds like a good plan, I think.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Nearly Meets
Value: Meets

-b


Sam's

No comments:

Post a Comment