Friday, August 24, 2012

Slow Bar

533 SE Grand Avenue
Happy Hour: 3 - 6, Monday through Friday


Never before have I wanted to order a burger as much as I did last night at the Slow Bar. Not to eat, of course. I'm a vegetarian. But I saw so many walk by and they were so...PRETTY! I just wanted to take pictures of them. I loved the look, with their sculpted buns and the onion ring placed perfectly in the center of it all. I didn't ever check the dinner menu. Perhaps they offer the same set-up with a veggie patty. If not, PLEASE DO.


And veggie sliders. I want those, too. There were four slider options listed on the menu and all of them full of meat. Can you add just one veggie option? Pretty please!


I did enjoy my spinach and garlic pizzetta. It was beautiful, much bigger than I had anticipated, and had the best flavor. I did have to pull off a few of the garlic cloves, though. There were just too many for my taste.


The salad was the highlight of my meal, though. Three dollar salads don't usually come with much. This one, however, was dressed with an assortment of nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, and walnuts), a soft yet crumbly goat cheese, and a light vinaigrette. I loved every bite. (Every bite but the walnuts, of course--but that has nothing to do with their flavor, we just don't get along.)


The Caprese Salad was a little more in price but well worth the value with all of that fresh mozzarella. Each slice was sandwiched between what looked like this slices of an heirloom tomato. And it was topped with the perfect amount of fresh basil and balsamic.


After much (internal) debate, I ordered the Zirkpatrick to drink. It's a pomegranate margarita--that wasn't the hard part--made with a peppercorn-infused tequila. I was worried about the peppercorn but LOVED it. Not everyone at the table did, though. In fact, I think I was the only one. The server even commented that people either love it or hate it. I enjoyed it enough that I ordered a second.

I pretty much loved everything about Slow Bar. Everything but the music, that is. It was loud...which is usually okay. But it was loud AND aggressive. That kind of music is fine in certain situations but made me want to finish my food that much faster. My guess is that it had more to do with the employees working and less to do with the place as a whole. I guess we'll see...next time. 

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets


Slow Bar

3 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! Have you seen the series I did on searching for the best burger in Portland? Slow Bar is #1 on the list. Epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see that, which made me originally want to try the burger (I'm the non-vegetarian of the two of us). I wish I had tried it, but I will have to go back again!

      Delete