Thursday, August 09, 2012

The Sweet Hereafter

3326 SE Belmont Street
Happy Hour: 4 - 7 PM, daily


The happy hour menu at The Sweet Hereafter is pretty slim. The menu itself doesn't have much listed. The flavors, however, are fantastic and make it well worth the visit. And since it's a vegetarian restaurant, I can eat anything listed on the menu. That makes me happy. And so do their fancy drinks.



I ordered this month's most popular drink. It's a fancy iced tea concoction, so it makes sense that this is the one people are choosing. It's the perfect summertime drink. And it comes in a mason jar. A big mason jar. I was barely able to finish the whole thing. But I did. And it was good. The Hereafter (the drink, not the bar) is made of vodka, bourbon, iced tea, and lemon juice. It's seriously refreshing and could easily be labeled THE DRINK OF THE SUMMER. So good.


Snacks are pretty limited on the happy hour menu. In fact, they just have the one appetizer (chips and salsa) discounted at half price. We opted to go full-price and order a couple of plates to share. (Full price is just five dollars, by the way.) There is a dollar discount on entrees, so if this had been dinner it would have been perfect. Next time, I guess. For now, we sampled the rosemary almonds and a plate of pretzels.


The Rosemary Almonds are perfect for someone who loves both rosemary and almonds. The size of the dish made it well worth the five dollar price tag, but it was WAY too much for the two of us. We might have finished half the bowl. They were good--a little messy--but just too much. They'd be a perfect bar snack for a bigger group.


The pretzels were absolutely delicious and came with two dipping sauces. One was a stone ground mustard that would have made my co-blogger furious. (She HATES that kind of mustard!) The other, a cashew "cheese" sauce, turned out to be my favorite. I've made cashew "Alfredo" in the past and wasn't afraid of the idea. I'm actually interested in trying to replicate this one at home. The only ingredients I'm certain were in the mix, however, were cashews and nutritional yeast...so if I'm going to make this at home, I'll need to do a little more research.


Service was great but The Sweet Hereafter is one of those places where you have to order both your food and drinks at the bar. It's super convenient for large groups and doesn't really add much of a hassle, in my opinion. Just don't forget while you're out back on the patio and lose patience over it. That would be embarrassing.


Speaking of the patio, I think that's one of the best features of The Sweet Hereafter. It's covered (which is perfect for rainy Portland) and has multiple "garage door" openings. (So you can be outside without really being outside.) And it extends past that part, too...so if you do want to be all the way outside, it's available.

I've already decided that I am going to order The Jamaican Bowl when I return. I saw one at the bar and have decided that it fits all of my criteria for comfort food. It's made of brown rice, black beans, marinated tofu, and coconut kale. And, of course, I'd spend the extra buck for the avocado. The drink I choose to pair with my dinner, though, will totally depend on the weather.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b

The Sweet Hereafter

No comments:

Post a Comment