Wednesday, September 05, 2012

442

1739 SE Hawthorne Street
Happy Hour: Monday through Friday, 3 - 6 PM


We ended up at 442 on labor day when every other place on our happy hour agenda was closed. It's a cute little spot in a slower section of Hawthorne that offers Bosnian food specialties and all the soccer you can stand. Seriously, there are TVs all around, football paraphernalia covering the walls, and they have their own fantasy league (or maybe even more than one).


The drink menu is lengthy and includes some fairly creative options. We both went for the West Ham. It was a mix of berry vodka and ginger ale and was a little too much like kool aid for my taste. It's always dangerous when drinks taste like kool aid, but this one was also just a bit too berry for me.

Sitting outside allowed us to escape the hubbub of the soccer games being played on the multiple televisions. It did not, however, allow us to escape the secondhand smoke. There are tables clearly identified for both smokers and non-smokers, but I don't think anyone ever took into account the direction that the wind typically travels.


There are just a few food items listed on the happy hour menu. Two of them are a traditional Bosnian sandwich, one served with a white sauce and one that has a bit more heat to it. It's called a Cevap and is made of a mix of both beef and lamb. I didn't have any bites, of course, but was impressed with the size of the sandwich. And the bread is something special, too. I didn't catch its official name, but will forever refer to it as that very delicious Bosnian bread.



An entire basket of that bread was delivered with my order so I wasn't too jealous, in the end. The bread was served with the Mediterranean plate.When I first read Mediterranean Plate, I quickly assumed hummus. Maybe hummus and cucumbers, a little feta, and some olives. Nope. It was plate of sliced tomatoes, crumbled feta, and two olives. It was good, don't get me wrong, just not exactly what I expected.

This place seems like a fantastic option for soccer fans. It also seemed to be full of neighborhood regulars. I loved that delicious Bosnian bread enough that I might stop in again someday, but since I'm not the biggest soccer fan and I don't live near enough, I don't think that I'll ever become a regular.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b


442

No comments:

Post a Comment