Sunday, October 21, 2012

Melt Bistro & Bar

716 NW 21st Avenue
Happy Hour: 2 PM - closing, every night


A happy hour that lasts all night, every night? How can that be? But it's true. And it gets even better. There are daily specials, too. Specials that include freebies. And I love freebies.


On Thursdays, the freebie is a deliciously buttery, perfectly salted, served-with-raspberry-mustard pretzel. And all you have to do is order a drink. There are limits, of course. Ordering a second drink will NOT get you an extra pretzel.


The pretzel was tasty, and buttery, and salty, but not nearly as delicious as the falafel sliders that I ordered. I was beyond excited to see a vegetarian slider option on Melt's menu. Rarely do I see veggie sliders available during happy hour and I can get so very jealous. Seriously, they are SO cute. These were adorable, a little spicy, had the perfect amount of crunch, and came with fresh pico to liven things up. There were two to the plate and they came at reasonable price of five dollars per order. If I had been there on Monday, however, they would have been just a dollar each. (Another reason to go back!)


To accompany the sliders, I ordered a Feta Stack Salad. It was everything you'd expect to find in a Greek salad, minus the lettuce. And--hence the name--it was STACKED. Such a nice presentation, I thought. And the ratio of crunch to salt was perfect. (The dressing also served as an excellent dipping sauce for the pretzel.)


Also at the table was a bubbling dish of macaroni and cheese. It looked fabulous with just enough bread crumb topping to give it a little crunch. Be safe, though, because that plate is HOT when it first hits the table.


I had a hard time deciding on a beverage when we first arrived. It's especially hard during the transition from summer to fall. (Mojitos are delicious...but even more so when it's hot out.) I narrowed my choices down to three and requested a little assistance from our server. In the end, I tried two of the three. (And when I go back for $1 sliders, I'll try the third.) The first was a Berry Press (made with house-infused vodka) and the second a Pink Berry Martini. Obviously, I was in a berry mood. They were both quite good, but the first had a little too much club soda and not enough soda soda. The second was sweeter, which was exactly what I needed.


I absolutely love the concept of Melt. Happy Hour is longer than long, the food menu offers plenty of choices, they give food away for FREE, and the drinks--the drinks include the most natural ingredients. It's nearly perfect. Parking might be the only issue. And it's really not all that bad.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Exceeds

-b


Melt

No comments:

Post a Comment