Sunday, November 18, 2012

St. Jack

2039 SE Clinton Street
Happy Hour: 4 - 5 PM, everyday


So cute. But so VERY pricey.

I would love to go back to St. Jack for dinner but am afraid that it is one of those places where I must wait until it's for a very special occasion. Very, very special. When a bowl of soup is listed at ten dollars, it's a sign that the rest of the menu is going to include some very high prices.


Prices on the happy hour menu range from three to nine dollars (ten if you add bacon). I'm sure that Le Hamburger is worth every penny, but I also know that you can find pretty fantastic hamburgers at other establishments in Portland during happy hour (happy hours that last longer than just one hour, I might add) for a LOT less.


The fries were good, though. And they were only three dollars. They were teeny tiny match stick fries that were covered with salt. Yummy, yummy salt that made me want more. And the dipping sauce was some sort of heavenly aioli.


The fancy Cervelle De Canut (cheese spread) was also quite delicious and one of the only other items listed at a reasonable price. Kudos, too, for the server who recognized that the ratio of bread to spread was way off and offered up another chunk of baguette.


What I loved most (and what makes me want to return) was the frosted martini glass containing what was probably the most delicious scotch-based cocktail I've ever tasted. Usually I avoid anything with a scotch, bourbon, or whiskey base. (I'll take sips when they are offered, but never do I order such things.) This was, however, one of the only cocktail options listed with a discount during happy hour so I felt like I just had to give it a try. It was called De Rigueur and it was delicious. Seriously, I never thought I would have said so. It must have been the fresh grapefruit juice or the combination of honey in the mix that made it so very appealing. Either way, that's the thing that will get me back to St. Jack's.

Perhaps the thing to do is head there after dinner for fancy cocktails and dessert.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Exceeds
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Nearly Meets

-b

Patisserie St. Jack on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment