Monday, January 21, 2013

The Box Social

3971 N Williams
Happy Hour: 4 - 6 daily, 11 - close Sunday - Thursday


If you've been reading this even somewhat consistently, you know that you always get more from me than just a restaurant review. I don't journal, I blog. So when I write, I write about me maybe just a little more than I should. Through my posts, you have probably learned that I don't eat meat, that I am a major math geek, maybe even that I can't eat walnuts. And in the past year or so, you've probably noticed that I went from sharing a table with my boyfriend, to my fiance, and now to my husband. Now that we are married, we are ready to start the home-buying process. You get to be a part of that, too. You see, happy hour is great for socializing with friends and enjoying discounted meals...but it can also be the perfect place to plan the next day's open house expedition. And that's exactly what we did.


We met at The Box Social on a Saturday afternoon ready to map out the tour of open houses. With food and drinks--at a discount--this was feeling less like a chore than I had expected. Now if only we could afford to do this every weekend AND still buy a house.


I opted for one of the fancy craft cocktails offered at a discount during happy hour. Called the Doc Holiday, it was a mix of vodka, lemon, honey, ginger, champagne, and something called SNAP. I had to do a little research on that one. Art in the Age Craft Spirits out of Pennsylvania created SNAP when they declared that other alcoholic ginger products on the market weren't performing up to par.


My husband ordered his usual--a whiskey sour. Made the egg white way, this whiskey sour was far from usual. Egg whites in a cocktail can lead to a disaster (we have learned), but it seems that the people of The Box Social know what they're doing. It was so tasty, I would order one. And I don't really like whiskey.

Snacking was a definite MUST during our planning session. We opted for some easy to share items plus an extra for me. (I was hungry!).


The hummus plate came with an assortment of dippable items. The olives were delicious on their own, as were the almonds. The hummus was darker in color (making me curious to know if there was some sort of secret ingredient in the mix) and topped with a plentiful pour of oil.


I was more than excited about the presentation of the house-made croutons that can be ordered just to snack on (like popcorn, I suppose) but were a part of my tomato soup plans. They were delivered to the table in a paper sack. SO cute. And delicious...with just the right amount of Parmesan cheese.


The tomato soup had a bit of a roasted quality to it and had just the slightest amount of texture to it. It was drizzled with some basil creme fraiche. I ordered it for me but was willing to share.


It was the warmed spinach dip that topped the list of snackability that night. We didn't exactly fight over the last slice of toasted baguette...but it was obvious that we all wanted it. Spinach dip is so often listed on happy hour menus that I've come to avoid it. (Unlike macaroni and cheese, which I will order almost every time...) This version, however, was one that I will go back for.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Exceeds
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b


The Box Social on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Have you considered listing how much the total happy hour bill comes to (perhaps per-person)? It's mostly just curiosity for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! Before the tip, our bill at The Box Social was approximately $15 per person (and that includes two additional full-price cocktails that were ordered after happy hour had officially ended).

      Delete
  2. oh, and check out Woodlawn! I just moved in a couple weeks ago and it's great.

    ReplyDelete