Monday, February 18, 2013

PaaDee

6 SE 28th Avenue
Happy Hour: 5 - 6:30, daily


The Kerns neighborhood has always been one of my favorites for happy hour. For dinner, too. In fact, two of my top five happy hour spots are located within a block or two on 28th Avenue. And my favorite go-to special occasion spot is right there in the mix, as well. And now there's Paadee. Seriously, this neighborhood has it all. PaaDee is located on the ground floor of that new building on the southeast corner of 28th and Burnisde. It's small, with shared table seating in the front room and additional tables in a second room. Even with two rooms, it's bound to fill up night after night. And it's good. Very good.



PaaDee offers happy hour nightly when the restaurant opens again for the second shift (lunch is served from 11:30 - 3, daily). And according to the menu, you can always benefit from happy hour pricing if you choose to dine at the bar no matter what time of night. (But there are just a few spots, so maybe don't plan on it.)


The happy hour menu doesn't offer too many vegetarian options. Just one, really. And I can't even be sure that it is truly vegetarian since so many Thai dishes are made with fish sauce. It's a spicy dish, but ridiculously tasty. It comes with sauteed rice noodles, veggies, and a heap of bean sprouts. I was caught a bit off guard with just how spicy it was and was thankful that the server left a full bottle of water on the table. I'd eat it again. And again. I just needed fair warning, that's all. The menu suggested that it was made with a sweet chili sauce...but perhaps with a ratio of sweet to chili that I'm not as accustomed to.



Across the table was a plate of perfectly presented steak . It came with a basket of sticky rice and was served with pickled vegetables.


I didn't order The Waterfall but will forever remember to order it upon my return...even after just one sip. The description (which included both shochu and shrub) left me a little bit hesitant. So hesitant that I made the mistake of ordering the Tamarind Whiskey Sour. It was good. But it wasn't as good as The Waterfall. This drink was DELICIOUS. A word I overuse, I know. But it was. It was crisp and refreshing. It was perfect.


Now that I've had it once, I want to go back. Not just for The Waterfall. For dinner. This place had better stick around. And maybe open multiple locations. I'm a forever fan, that is for sure.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Exceeds
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b


PaaDee on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment