Saturday, March 23, 2013

Dixie Tavern

34 NW 3rd Avenue
Happy Hour: 4 - 7, Tuesday through Sunday


Never before did I think that I would walk into the Dixie Tavern. It's not my style. Yes, I'm an Idaho girl at heart. But that doesn't mean I like country music, cowboy boots, or the thought of having my bra hang from the ceiling of a bar. I do, however, love happy hour. And I will seek out happy hours whenever the opportunity arises.



Happy Hour at the Dixie Tavern is available from 4 to 7 PM, Tuesday through Sunday. You can get ridiculously cheap well drinks for the same price as a can of PBR (just $2.50). I started with a gin and tonic (extra lime, of course) which is my usual go-to in this sort of establishment. Later in the evening, I was tricked (not really) into ordering a Long Island. It was the Saturday Special--and I have always LOVED a good special. I learned my lesson soon after the blue drink arrived. I read the name of the drink but completely missed the description and the fact that it was made with a Monster Energy drink. I would have rather sipped on Nyquil than drink that blue concoction. It was beyond unpleasant. Lesson learned.


The food menu at the Dixie Tavern offers food items for $3.95, $4.95, and $5.95. They offer the usual fried options, nachos, sliders, etc. We started with plate of fried triangles of mac and cheese, sliders, and a black bean quesadilla. When the fried mac and cheese arrived, I quickly ordered a second plate. Not because they were the most delicious things I've ever tasted, but because there were only two small triangles an a dinner-sized plate and if we were to share them (all three of us) we would definitely need another serving.



The sliders were also small on arrival but since I had no plans to sample the grilled burgers, there was no need to order more. Two to a plate was a little disappointing, I have to say. I guess I had thought that the standard had been set at three. Apparently the flavor was there, though. And sometimes that's all that matters.


The black bean quesadilla was recommended by the server and suggested on the menu to be a bit spicy. It was not spicy, but it was filling. I liked it okay. It wasn't anything special but it did give me something to mask the flavor of that Long Island.

I probably won't be back to the Dixie anytime soon. It's not that it's awful. It just doesn't suit my style. There are places that I love and would easily return to on a near-weekly basis if I wasn't so eager to try new places. And then there are those places that I will only try once. This is one of them.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Nearly Meets (good value on drinks, not so great for food)

-b

Dixie Tavern on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment