Monday, March 25, 2013

Kenny & Zuke's Deli Bar

3901 N Williams Avenue
Happy Hour: 3 - 5:30, Monday through Friday; 8 - close, daily

Kenny and Zuke's has been around for a while now, it's true. Years, I suppose. And all this time, I haven't been to one. I say one because there are so many now. And all with the same high-quality sandwiches. All with the same high prices, too. But that's why happy hour is what it is. And so I finally ventured in.

We walked by the Deli Bar (that moved into the space previously occupied by Pix on Williams Avenue) a few days ago. I made a note on the happy hour times and added it to my list of musts for Spring Break. And since they offer late night happy hour on the weekends, it made for the perfect dinner after my husband returned from a weekend training at OSU.


Late night happy hour at Kenny & Zuke's starts at 8 o'clock. That's pretty early, if you ask me. And for dinner on a Saturday it made perfect sense. They have plenty of dinner options, too, if you are a meat eater. I was left to eat snacky foods--which, with enough snacking can make a dinner quickly.


I opted for the hummus plate. A typical option for vegetarians at happy hour, this one had more to it. It came with a large amount of hummus, baba ghanoush, and olive tapenade. To dip, they offered bagel chips (which makes sense, since they make their own bagels) and pickled veggies (which were done quite well, I must say). Near the end, the server offered to either box up what was left of the dip or bring out more bagel chips. In my opinion, anytime either of those options are given during happy hour, the establishment deserves a little extra credit. Good work, Kenny & Zuke's.


My husband ordered the plate of chicken wings. It was massive. Thankfully, we had a third join the table and help work through all of the food we had ordered. The chicken went over quite well. They both dipped it equally in the sauce provided and in the (what I assume to be) house-made blue cheese dressing that was served with our buffalo cheese curds.


Cheese curds. Not everyone loves the squeaky cheese. This, however, did no squeak. I don't even know if they were really curds. But they were delicious. And each was surrounded by a pillow of batter that had been fried ever so gently to create a light but crispy exterior. I loved every bite. I'm glad I was sharing them, though, or I would have felt oh-so-guilty.


To wash all of the flavors down, I ordered the Pineapple Express. Discounted during happy hour from its already reasonable price of $7, this cocktail was one of those egg white drinks done well. I loved it so much, I had a second.



My husband added a little more variety to his meal by starting with a Bloody Mary--with a lot of spice and a skewer of pickled beets as garnish--and later moving onto a fancy olive-laden martini.


Service was exceptional--and not just because they gave us a bag of bagels to take home. Both servers were on top of our every need. And the quality and attentiveness didn't lessen as the place began to fill up. For that, I am thankful.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Exceeds
Service: Exceeds
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Nearly Meets (it's a bit on the pricey side)

-b

Kenny & Zuke's Deli Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment