Saturday, March 23, 2013

Las Primas

3971 N Williams Avenue
Happy Hour: 3 - 6 PM, daily



It's Spring Break and I have no travel plans. No islands in the Caribbean. No sandy beaches. No mojitos. But that doesn't mean I can't pretend. Walking into Las Primas on a not-so-warm Spring day is a step in the right direction. It's warm and welcoming with bright colors and beautiful decor. Even the menu board itself adds enough color to make up for the past few dreary days in Portland.


Happy Hour at Las Primas is offered daily between three and six. They've got classic street foods, some fusion-style plates, and a discount on both the house soup and salad available. Drinks are discounted, too. It's a great value, really, with everything priced between 2.50 and 6 bucks.



There were four of us at the table, which allowed for a variety of flavors. We didn't order everything on the menu, but got close to it.


First plate to arrive at the table was a plate of thickly-sliced crostini covered with a very pureed olive spread. The spread was SO purple I could have easily mistaken it for jam had I not known in advance.


I didn't dare take a bite of the fries that were next to arrive at the table. They were Poutin-style with chorizo. And they were quickly devoured by the meat eaters at the table.


My favorite flavor and one that I will most definitely return for was that of the Naked Peruvian. It was a MESSY sandwich but so very delicious. It was covered with avocado and red onions and a generous amount of cheese. There was some sort of sauce, too. One that I am sure was not good for me. The whole thing was incredibly enjoyable. Messy, but SO very good.



They offer two other sandwiches. My husband ordered the sausage and shared bites with the table. They all seemed to appreciate the flavors. I appreciated the garnish of fried potato sticks.


Last to make it to the table was the plate of empanadas. The fillings change frequently, but I am sure that they are all equally tasty. We had one pork and one corn. I made the mistake I so often make with things fresh from the oven and burned the roof of my mouth. The corn was almost sweet, which surprised me. And the kernels were much bigger than I was anticipating. I loved the pastry. I am eager to try new flavors on my next visit.


I probably should have tried the Sangria--since it's one of my favorite things--but got excited to see all of the Pisco Cocktails available. The Pisco Sour is one of those egg white drinks that may or may not work as well as planned. This one worked. Quite well, in fact. It was difficult to photograph, though, so you will have to forgive me.

Las Primas is one of those places that offers flavors that are pretty unique. Flavors that make me want to go back, again and again. Good thing they offer happy hour daily. That'll make a return visit that much easier.

Food: Meets
Drinks: Meets
Service: Meets
Ambiance: Meets
Value: Meets

-b

Las Primas Peruvian Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment